Re: [linux-dell-laptops] installing an internal modem in an inspiron 4000 with mandrake 7.2

  • David Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2001
      On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 09:30:42AM -0800, LEon LEvy wrote:

      > it seems the the linux community would be able to come up with a way to
      > install those bad boys.. oh well

      Hi,
      If it is a winmodem it is 'supported' up to the point of
      dialing (no data transmision) They are working on that. The only
      winmodems truly supported are lucents and just because the company
      released a driver. Call 3Com or send emails to them, maybe if
      enough people does they will release a driver.

      David
      David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living Form
      University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
      Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
      Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain
    • Thomas Jacob
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2001
        /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
        Changing
        include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff, ...
        into
        include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
        worked for
        SUSE 7.1, kernel 2.4.0, pcmcia-cs-3.1.24

        Thomas

      • LEon LEvy
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 4, 2001
          --- David Rodriguez <dibeas@...> wrote:
          > On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 06:48:46PM -0800, LEon LEvy wrote:
          > > hey.. can anyone give me some pointers here on how to install my dial-up
          > > internal modem in linum (if possible)?
          > > my inspiron 4000 came with a 3Com v.90 MPC modem which is connected to
          > COM2.
          > >
          > > I'm no linux expert, so any advice will be very useful to me.
          >
          > I guess that my advice would be to buy a modem. I don't know
          > if it's useful, but it is an advice. If your modem is a software
          > (winmodem) by 3Com , I don't think it is supported.
          >
          > David

          hmm.. well i was hoping for an alternative to that.
          if that is the case then i guess i'll just have to rely on windows for
          online-enjoyment.

          it seems the the linux community would be able to come up with a way to
          install those bad boys.. oh well

          -leon

          =====
          /**************************************************
          * candy heart , bug bite *
          * http://www.angelfire.com/pop/candyheart *
          * http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bugbite *
          * *
          * po box 163852, sacramento ca, 95816-9852 USA *
          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4, 2001
            > --- David Rodriguez <dibeas@...> wrote:
            > > On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 06:48:46PM -0800, LEon LEvy wrote:
            > > > hey.. can anyone give me some pointers here on how to install my dial-up
            > > > internal modem in linum (if possible)?
            > > > my inspiron 4000 came with a 3Com v.90 MPC modem which is connected to
            > > COM2.
            > > >
            > > > I'm no linux expert, so any advice will be very useful to me.
            > >
            > > I guess that my advice would be to buy a modem. I don't know
            > > if it's useful, but it is an advice. If your modem is a software
            > > (winmodem) by 3Com , I don't think it is supported.
            >
            > hmm.. well i was hoping for an alternative to that.
            > if that is the case then i guess i'll just have to rely on windows for
            > online-enjoyment.
            >
            > it seems the the linux community would be able to come up with a way to
            > install those bad boys.. oh well

            If 3Com would give out any information on it, then the Linux community
            would be able to install it; 3Com could also write their own driver for
            it if they don't want to give out any information about it.

            Right now, the Lucent Winmodem is the only one with good Linux support,
            and that is because Lucent made an effort to support Linux.

            --
            John Cronin
          • stuart@bh90210.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4, 2001
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Thomas Jacob" <thomas.jacob@g...>
              wrote:
              > /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
              > Changing
              > include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff, ...
              > into
              > include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
              > worked for
              > SUSE 7.1, kernel 2.4.0, pcmcia-cs-3.1.24

              Thomas:

              Forgive my ignorance, but the two lines you quote above, are the
              same!?! Exactly what did you change if they are both the same?

              Stuart
              Beverly Hills, CA

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2001
                The original line included 3 parameters, but I don't the exact range.
                I used dots for the third, butI should have better said
                include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff, port 0x???-0x???
                or may be
                include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x???-0x???, port 0xc00-0xcff
                into
                include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff

                Regards
                Thomas

              • LEon LEvy
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 5, 2001