Urgent!! Lost track of all my Linux partitions

  • atctam@hkusua.hku.hk
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2001
      Hi,

      I have installed Mandrake 7.2 on my Dell Inspiron with Win98 in dual
      boot mode a few months ago. I use to work on Linux partitions and
      occasionally boot to Win98. However, today I was out of my mind that
      when I booted to Win98, and did a norton virus scanning for my Win98
      partition. However, as I installed Win98 and norton antivirus before
      the installation of Linux, the virus scanner reported to me that there
      was a mismatch on the master boot record as compared to its record. As
      I have completely forgot about this mismatch was coming from my Linux
      partitions and LILO setting, and I instructed the norton scanner to
      repair the master boot record. Now I have lost track of all my Linux
      partitions the master boot record is replaced by the previous image.
      The worst is I have forgot on the exact size of my Linux partitions
      and I did not have any rescue disks on my system (as I used to not
      creating that - that is my big mistake too.)

      Could anybody give me some useful advices on how to recover those
      partitions?

      Thanks.

      ----
      Anthony
    • atctam@hkusua.hku.hk
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2001
        Hi,

        I have recovered from the above situation.
        So forget about it and thanks for whoever have thought about
        this problem.

        Cheers

        Anthony

      • bvermeul@blackstar.nl
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2001
          > I have installed Mandrake 7.2 on my Dell Inspiron with Win98 in dual
          > boot mode a few months ago. I use to work on Linux partitions and
          > occasionally boot to Win98. However, today I was out of my mind that
          > when I booted to Win98, and did a norton virus scanning for my Win98
          > partition. However, as I installed Win98 and norton antivirus before
          > the installation of Linux, the virus scanner reported to me that there
          > was a mismatch on the master boot record as compared to its record. As
          > I have completely forgot about this mismatch was coming from my Linux
          > partitions and LILO setting, and I instructed the norton scanner to
          > repair the master boot record. Now I have lost track of all my Linux
          > partitions the master boot record is replaced by the previous image.
          > The worst is I have forgot on the exact size of my Linux partitions
          > and I did not have any rescue disks on my system (as I used to not
          > creating that - that is my big mistake too.)
          >
          > Could anybody give me some useful advices on how to recover those
          > partitions?

          Trial and error. Get a boot/rescue disk, try to find out your partitions,
          and run fsck on said partition. It will tell you if it's right. Check the
          size the ext2 fs thinks it is with the size the partition is. If too
          small, enlarge, if too big, size up. Rince and repeat untill fs is
          salvaged.

          Hope this helps,

          Bas Vermeulen

          --