Re: pcmcia & i8k & ds.o

  • stuart@bh90210.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2001
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., cavallo@u... wrote:
      > Hi there,
      >
      > thanx to your help I've now a running i8k RH7.0 and a freshly
      compiled
      > 2.4.2 kernel. I'm trying to install pcmcia-cs 3.1.24, now.
      >
      > I disabled every pcmcia thing from the kernel, and I made a plain
      > pcmcia-cs installation.
      > Now, when I boot with PCIC=yenta_socket it boots but it is unable to
      > load ds.o
      >
      > The only module loaded is pcmica_core
      >
      > Should I play with IRQ and port settings in pcmcia.config ?

      I am having the same problems. My only PCMCIA card I use right now is
      an ethernet card. I am considering to upgrade the machine to have the
      internal ethernet card, so, that is my workaround. But, you are not
      the only experiencing this issue.

      Stuart

    • cavallo@unina.it
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2001
        OK. But with kernel 2.2.18 and pcmcia-cs-3.1.24 I was able to have the
        card working (Hamlet 1500, no modem).

        Could I extract some info from the 2.2.18 running stuff to trace the
        problem within 2.4.2, or the right parameters to feed into config.opts
        ?

        Just a curiosity. AFAIK, the ds.o is one of the basic pcmcia modules.
        Does it means that it is not a problem of the specific card ? If so,
        to change the card model would help ?

        luigi

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., stuart@b... wrote:
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., cavallo@u... wrote:
        > > Hi there,
        > >
        > > thanx to your help I've now a running i8k RH7.0 and a freshly
        > compiled
        > > 2.4.2 kernel. I'm trying to install pcmcia-cs 3.1.24, now.
        > >
        > > I disabled every pcmcia thing from the kernel, and I made a plain
        > > pcmcia-cs installation.
        > > Now, when I boot with PCIC=yenta_socket it boots but it is unable
        > > load ds.o
        > >
        > > The only module loaded is pcmica_core
        > >
        > > Should I play with IRQ and port settings in pcmcia.config ?
        >
        > I am having the same problems. My only PCMCIA card I use right now
        is
        > an ethernet card. I am considering to upgrade the machine to have
        the
        > internal ethernet card, so, that is my workaround. But, you are not
        > the only experiencing this issue.
        >

        > Stuart
        >

        > > TIA,
        > > luigi
      • David Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2001
          On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 06:48:46PM -0800, LEon LEvy wrote:
          > hey.. can anyone give me some pointers here on how to install my dial-up
          > internal modem in linum (if possible)?
          > my inspiron 4000 came with a 3Com v.90 MPC modem which is connected to COM2.
          >
          > I'm no linum expert, so any advice will be very useful to me.

          I guess that my advice would be to buy a modem. I don't know
          if it's useful, but it is an advice. If your modem is a software
          (winmodem) by 3Com , I don't think it is supported.

          David
        • LEon LEvy
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3, 2001
            hey.. can anyone give me some pointers here on how to install my dial-up
            internal modem in linum (if possible)?
            my inspiron 4000 came with a 3Com v.90 MPC modem which is connected to COM2.

            I'm no linum expert, so any advice will be very useful to me.

            thanks!

            -leon

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • David Rodriguez
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4, 2001
              On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 09:30:42AM -0800, LEon LEvy wrote:

              > it seems the the linux community would be able to come up with a way to
              > install those bad boys.. oh well

              Hi,
              If it is a winmodem it is 'supported' up to the point of
              dialing (no data transmision) They are working on that. The only
              winmodems truly supported are lucents and just because the company
              released a driver. Call 3Com or send emails to them, maybe if
              enough people does they will release a driver.

              David
              David Rodríguez Ibeas Undergraduate Living Form
              University of Iowa Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
              Electrical & Computer Engineering E.T.S.I. Telecomunicación
              Iowa City, IA Madrid, Spain
            • Thomas Jacob
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 4, 2001
                /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
                Changing
                include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff, ...
                into
                include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
                worked for
                SUSE 7.1, kernel 2.4.0, pcmcia-cs-3.1.24

                Thomas

              • LEon LEvy
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4, 2001
                  --- David Rodriguez <dibeas@...> wrote:
                  > On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 06:48:46PM -0800, LEon LEvy wrote:
                  > > hey.. can anyone give me some pointers here on how to install my dial-up
                  > > internal modem in linum (if possible)?
                  > > my inspiron 4000 came with a 3Com v.90 MPC modem which is connected to
                  > COM2.
                  > >
                  > > I'm no linux expert, so any advice will be very useful to me.
                  >
                  > I guess that my advice would be to buy a modem. I don't know
                  > if it's useful, but it is an advice. If your modem is a software
                  > (winmodem) by 3Com , I don't think it is supported.
                  >
                  > David

                  hmm.. well i was hoping for an alternative to that.
                  if that is the case then i guess i'll just have to rely on windows for
                  online-enjoyment.

                  it seems the the linux community would be able to come up with a way to
                  install those bad boys.. oh well

                  -leon

                  =====
                  /**************************************************
                  * candy heart , bug bite *
                  * http://www.angelfire.com/pop/candyheart *
                  * http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bugbite *
                  * *
                  * po box 163852, sacramento ca, 95816-9852 USA *
                  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 4, 2001
                    > --- David Rodriguez <dibeas@...> wrote:
                    > > On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 06:48:46PM -0800, LEon LEvy wrote:
                    > > > hey.. can anyone give me some pointers here on how to install my dial-up
                    > > > internal modem in linum (if possible)?
                    > > > my inspiron 4000 came with a 3Com v.90 MPC modem which is connected to
                    > > COM2.
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm no linux expert, so any advice will be very useful to me.
                    > >
                    > > I guess that my advice would be to buy a modem. I don't know
                    > > if it's useful, but it is an advice. If your modem is a software
                    > > (winmodem) by 3Com , I don't think it is supported.
                    >
                    > hmm.. well i was hoping for an alternative to that.
                    > if that is the case then i guess i'll just have to rely on windows for
                    > online-enjoyment.
                    >
                    > it seems the the linux community would be able to come up with a way to
                    > install those bad boys.. oh well

                    If 3Com would give out any information on it, then the Linux community
                    would be able to install it; 3Com could also write their own driver for
                    it if they don't want to give out any information about it.

                    Right now, the Lucent Winmodem is the only one with good Linux support,
                    and that is because Lucent made an effort to support Linux.

                    --
                    John Cronin
                  • stuart@bh90210.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 4, 2001
                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Thomas Jacob" <thomas.jacob@g...>
                      wrote:
                      > /etc/pcmcia/config.opts
                      > Changing
                      > include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff, ...
                      > into
                      > include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
                      > worked for
                      > SUSE 7.1, kernel 2.4.0, pcmcia-cs-3.1.24

                      Thomas:

                      Forgive my ignorance, but the two lines you quote above, are the
                      same!?! Exactly what did you change if they are both the same?

                      Stuart
                      Beverly Hills, CA

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 5, 2001
                        The original line included 3 parameters, but I don't the exact range.
                        I used dots for the third, butI should have better said
                        include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff, port 0x???-0x???
                        or may be
                        include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x???-0x???, port 0xc00-0xcff
                        into
                        include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff

                        Regards
                        Thomas

                      • LEon LEvy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 5, 2001