Video driver bug? [was:How do I convince... to stop searching for the Ethernet?]

  • cosmint@cs.ubbcluj.ro
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2001
      I have further tracked down the problem I had with the 1 minute
      slowdown when booting Linux Mandrake 7.1 on Dell Latitude CPxj.

      I now suspect it's not the Ethernet, but a bug in the video card that
      is guilty of doing the nasty thing.

      I think that because the system boots fine until it gets to the
      console login (it shows the text-mode penguin and asks for login).
      Then, the X graphics mode starts automatically (KDE), and *here* is
      where the system waits for 1 minute. I believe the network is
      already initialized at this point.

      I was in the graphics mode 1280x1024x16bit and I only tried to
      *test* another graphics mode: 800x600x32bit, and... the test hanged
      disgracefully! I stayed for a couple of minutes in front of a black
      screen, then... no Ctrl+Alt+Del, no power-off, nothing else than the
      battery removal!!...

      Finally, after rebooting and auto-fixing the file system & stuff,
      everything went fine, i.e. I still needed to wait that minute while
      switching from the text to the graphical login, but at least I
      remained in the working mode 1280x1024x16bit.

      Do you thing this is a bug in the video driver? Should I ask the
      XFree86 hackers? The video card is ATI Mach64. Now I am simply afraid
      to test other video mode: I fear I might need to remove the battery
      again, and I don't think this is too healthy for the computer. Maybe
      those people could tell me what video modes are really working (in
      case you wouldn't know)

      I still wonder whether the network has anything to do with the delay,
      because there was no delay while the Ethernet card was used, then the
      Ethernet connection was unplugged, and the card was taken out and put
      back in, and now it works as modem (it's dual Ethernet/modem)... so
      the card is there, just with a different functionality.
      The weird delay started to happen *exactly* after the ethernet
      connection disappeared.

      Thank you for listening to my problems! :-)
      Any help will be greatly appreciated.
      Cosmin