Trouble when missing the floppy drive on a Dell Latitude CPxj under Mandrake 7.1

  • cosmint@cs.ubbcluj.ro
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2001

      I installed Linux Mandrake 7.1 on a Dell Latitude CPxj.
      When I installed the system, the floppy drive was disconnected.
      Surprisingly, when I shut it down, it hangs because it tries to
      unmount the floppy drive. There is no other way to get out than power
      off!...

      First of all, I find surprising that the floppy drive was not
      connected at the installation, and even if it is not connected when
      booting the system, it gets mounted.
      Secondly, it is surprising that there is no civilized way of failing
      to unmount the floppy when shutting down the system, but by hanging
      the system completely.

      So far, everything works fine if I just run the system with the floppy
      drive installed. But I don't use that floppy drive at all, and more, I
      need the space for the CD-ROM drive.

      Is this a known bug in Linux Mandrake 7.1?
      I will really appreciate if you could tell me what to do/deinstall in
      order to get rid of that nasty FDD.

      Thank you very much.
      Cosmin