Re: How do I get it to automatically boot into Linux

  • will.irwin@frco.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
      It depends whether the machine starts up with the Windows boot loader
      or goes directly into LILO. I have mine set up where the Windows
      boot loader offers the choice of Win2000 or Linux: if I choose the
      latter it runs LILO and I boot Linux from there. (I believe it is
      also possible to start with LILO, and have it offer the option of
      2000 or Linux but I have not attempted this.)

      This takes a bit of effort to get it all working. Take a look at
      http://www.winplanet.com/winplanet/tutorials/737/1 - this talks
      about NT (and clouds the issue by also addressing Win98) but the
      basic scheme is sound and it works with Windows 2000.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., guroos@g... wrote:
      > I have already installed, Linux Red Hat 7 onto a Dell i8k. After
      > slicing up the hard drive to dual boot into Win2k and Linux 7, it
      > wont prompt me to boot into Linux 7. Unless, I boot it from a
      Linux
      > boot disk...
      >
      > Can someone point out how can I get the laptop to prompt me or just
      > automatically boot into the Linux partition ? ? ?
    • Philip P. Dixon
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
        If you want to keep the Windows boot loader intact, the option I use is:

        Configure lilo to install itself into /boot, /dev/hda3 on my machine. I
        only put one kernel in the lilo config, and timeout of 0 so the booting
        will be instant.

        Then dump the boot record to file:
        dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/win2k/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
        (Note: I have my win2k partition mounted in Linux to /win2k. You may have
        to transfer the file yourself.)

        Add a line to your boot.ini:
        C:\bootsect.lnx="RedHat Linux 7.0 - kernel 2.2.16"

        So to boot multiple kernels, I set one up in lilo, do the above, then
        reconfigure lilo with the second kernel setup and create a new boot file.
        Then, my boot.ini looks like (beware of word-wrap):
        multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
        Professional" /fastdetect
        C:\bootsect.lnx="RedHat Linux 7.0 - kernel 2.2.16"
        C:\bootsect.242="RedHat Linux 7.0 - kernel 2.4.2"

        Phil

        > It depends whether the machine starts up with the Windows boot loader
        > or goes directly into LILO. I have mine set up where the Windows boot
        > loader offers the choice of Win2000 or Linux: if I choose the latter
        > it runs LILO and I boot Linux from there. (I believe it is also
        > possible to start with LILO, and have it offer the option of 2000 or
        > Linux but I have not attempted this.)
        >
        > This takes a bit of effort to get it all working. Take a look at
        > http://www.winplanet.com/winplanet/tutorials/737/1 - this talks
        > about NT (and clouds the issue by also addressing Win98) but the
        > basic scheme is sound and it works with Windows 2000.
        >

        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., guroos@g... wrote:
        >> I have already installed, Linux Red Hat 7 onto a Dell i8k. After
        >> slicing up the hard drive to dual boot into Win2k and Linux 7, it
        >> wont prompt me to boot into Linux 7. Unless, I boot it from a
        > Linux
        >> boot disk...
        >>
        >> Can someone point out how can I get the laptop to prompt me or just
        >> automatically boot into the Linux partition ? ? ?

        > ---------------------~-~> Find software faster. Search more than 20,000
        >software solutions on KnowledgeStorm. Register
        > now and get started.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/nHk3aB/wMSCAA/Di4EAA/0qAVlB/TM

        Phil
      • guroos
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
          IT WORKED !  Thanks ! ! !

          -Linc
          If you want to keep the Windows boot loader intact, the option I use is:

          Configure lilo to install itself into /boot, /dev/hda3 on my machine.  I
          only put one kernel in the lilo config, and timeout of 0 so the booting
          will be instant.

          Then dump the boot record to file:
            dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/win2k/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
          (Note:  I have my win2k partition mounted in Linux to /win2k.  You may have
          to transfer the file yourself.)

          Add a line to your boot.ini:
            C:\bootsect.lnx="RedHat Linux 7.0 - kernel 2.2.16"

          So to boot multiple kernels, I set one up in lilo, do the above, then
          reconfigure lilo with the second kernel setup and create a new boot file.
          Then, my boot.ini looks like (beware of word-wrap):
            multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
          Professional" /fastdetect
            C:\bootsect.lnx="RedHat Linux 7.0 - kernel 2.2.16"
            C:\bootsect.242="RedHat Linux 7.0 - kernel 2.4.2"

          Phil

          > It depends whether the machine starts up with the Windows boot loader
          > or goes directly into LILO.  I have mine set up where the Windows  boot
          > loader offers the choice of Win2000 or Linux: if I choose the  latter
          > it runs LILO and I boot Linux from there.  (I believe it is  also
          > possible to start with LILO, and have it offer the option of  2000 or
          > Linux but I have not attempted this.)
          >
          > This takes a bit of effort to get it all working.  Take a look at
          > http://www.winplanet.com/winplanet/tutorials/737/1 - this talks
          > about NT (and clouds the issue by also addressing Win98) but the
          > basic scheme is sound and it works with Windows 2000.
          >

          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., guroos@g... wrote:
          >> I have already installed, Linux Red Hat 7 onto a Dell i8k.  After
          >> slicing up the hard drive to dual boot into Win2k and Linux 7, it
          >> wont prompt me to boot into Linux 7.   Unless, I boot it from a
          > Linux
          >> boot disk...
          >>
          >> Can someone point out how can I get the laptop to prompt me or just
          >> automatically boot into the Linux partition ? ? ?

          > ---------------------~-~> Find software faster. Search more than 20,000
          >software solutions on KnowledgeStorm. Register
          > now and get started.
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/nHk3aB/wMSCAA/Di4EAA/0qAVlB/TM

          Phil

        • Phil Dixon
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2001
            You're welcome.  Also, if you aren't constantly building new kernels or changing your linux boot configuration, you can uninstall the lilo rpm from the machine now and just reinstall it when/if you need a new bootsect.lnx file (I tend to err on the side of leaving as few packages on the machine as possible--it's easier to keep up with security concerns).

            Phil