I8000 network + modem upgrade

  • stuart@bh90210.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 2:06 AM
      Dell/Linux users:

      I contacted Dell today to find out the cost and manner by which an
      I8000 with just the modem board in it can be upgrade to be inclusive
      of the actiontec combo card. Apparently the upgrade is a mere $75,
      and is quite easy to do.

      Stuart
    • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1 6:20 AM
        I might point out that is far cheaper than any "Realport" modem/Ethernet
        CardBus combo card you are likely to find, that it doesn't require working
        PCMCIA to have a working network connection (sure makes downloading
        required PCMCIA patches much easier!), and the Actiontec gives excellent
        performance. Using a Cisco 3500 switch, I am able to saturate a 100
        megabit Ethernet segment using "scp" to transfer the files to a Sun Ultra450.
        Considering scp also is encrypting the file, that's pretty good. scp will
        try to do some compression for you, but since this file was "gzip -9"
        compressed, the compression by scp won't gain anything and might even
        hurt a little.

        I don't work for Actiontec or anything, I am just happy to have an
        inexpensive PCI modem/Ethernet (Intel 82559 chipset!) solution that
        doesn't require a dongle or PCMCIA in my laptop. It is one of the
        reasons I got the Dell (IBM ThinkPads have something similar, but
        they don't have integrated FireWire too!).

        --
        John Cronin