[linux-dell-laptops] spinning disk

  • David Epstein
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11, 2000
      Is there any way of controlling the length of time the disk spins
      before it stops? I have an Inspiron 7000, but I don't suppose it
      matters. I think such things are under user control in Windows.

      I have a related problem using apm -S. Sometimes the machine shuts
      down briefly after I type apm -S as root. But then it starts up again,
      as though some event has woken the machine up. When it is in such a
      mood, it seems just about impossible to get apm -S to work. I believe
      that if I could stop the disk spinning first, then apm -S would work.

      David Epstein
    • S. Thudium
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 26, 2000
        Can anybody tell me what values I should enter when I run xf86config.
        I installed XFree86-3.3.6 in my Latitude CPt V466GT, with a ATI 3D Rage
        P/M Mobility AGP 2x video card.
        The particular questions I am asked while running xf86config are:

        Horizontal sync range of monitor
        Vertical sync range of monitor
        Identifier for your monitor definition
        Vendor name for your monitor
        Model name for your monitor
        Card definition
        Server to run
        Symbolic link (yes/no)
        Video memory
        Identifier for video card definition
        Vendor name for your video card
        Model name for your video card
        RAMDAC
        List of modes (Resolutions)

        "alessandro russo" <russ-@...> wrote:
        =298
        > From http://www.xfree86.org:
        >
        > [January 2000]
        >
        > XFree86-3.3.6 is now available!
        >
        > This is a full release. If you are having problems with a prior
        > release, please try XFree86-3.3.6 first before asking for help.
        >
        > Highlights of the new release include
        >
        > Support for ATI Rage128.
        > Support for ATI Rage Mobility
        > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        > Support for SiS 540/630 and SiS 300
        > Support for Silicon Motion Lynx chipsets
        > Support for Savage2000
        > Support for NVIDIA GeForce
        > Support for Intel i810 (not enabled by default as it needs kernel
        > module)
        > Fixes to several drivers

      • Neil
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 26, 2000
          On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:13:02 -0800, you wrote:

          >Can anybody tell me what values I should enter when I run xf86config.
          >I installed XFree86-3.3.6 in my Latitude CPt V466GT, with a ATI 3D Rage
          >P/M Mobility AGP 2x video card.
          >The particular questions I am asked while running xf86config are:

          try running /usr/X11/bin/XF86Setup - its a bit easier than xf68config, and has
          an interface :-)

          If you are using SusE then try running SaX.

          Someone might send you an /etc/XF86Config file if you ask them nicely.

          ??

          Neil
        • S. Thudium
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 26, 2000
            Thanks Neil.

            If anybody has one, I would greatly appreciate an xf86config file that
            I can use with XFree86-3.3.6 on my Latitude CPt V466GT.

            neil <nei-@...> wrote:
            =323
            > On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:13:02 -0800, you wrote:
            >

            > >Can anybody tell me what values I should enter when I run
            xf86config.
            > >I installed XFree86-3.3.6 in my Latitude CPt V466GT, with a ATI 3D
            Rage
            > >P/M Mobility AGP 2x video card.
            > >The particular questions I am asked while running xf86config are:
            >
            > try running /usr/X11/bin/XF86Setup - its a bit easier than
            xf68config, and has
            > an interface :-)
            >
            > If you are using SusE then try running SaX.
            >
            > Someone might send you an /etc/XF86Config file if you ask them nicely.
            >
            > ??
            >
            > Neil

          • Ned Ragdnuos
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2000
              david epstein <dba-@...> wrote:
              =299
              > Is there any way of controlling the length of time the disk spins
              > before it stops? I have an Inspiron 7000, but I don't suppose it
              > matters. I think such things are under user control in Windows.
              >
              > I have a related problem using apm -S. Sometimes the machine shuts
              > down briefly after I type apm -S as root. But then it starts up again,
              > as though some event has woken the machine up. When it is in such a
              > mood, it seems just about impossible to get apm -S to work. I believe
              > that if I could stop the disk spinning first, then apm -S would work.
              >
              > David Epstein

              I used
              # hdparm /dev/hda -S 1200
              but there's just too many processes and stuff doing 'sync'
              at the moment so the disk keeps spinning back up.
              If I kill off most of the daemons and don't run too much stuff,
              the disk can stay asleep for about 5 minutes.
            • chris@river.org
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2000
                I've had mixed results, and I'm still not up to speed on
                this -- however:

                When I tapped Fn+Standby on my Dell Latitude 450 MC,
                initially the machine would 'bounce back' in about half
                a second -- it would look like it was going to go to
                sleep, and then it'd come right back. Eventually, I
                disabled gpm (for the mouse) and that seemed to do the
                trick. I was half-convinced that's all I need do, since
                the logs clearly showed that 'nothing happened' for
                several hours, and 'cron.daily' did not run at the
                appointed hour. It ran as soon as I opened the closed
                cover of the 450 MC! (within a few minutes of that,
                anyway).

                I need to read more, and find out what programs or
                daemons would help me, but the suspend (Standby) function
                of the BIOS seems to work pretty well on it's own. I
                wish I'd taken better notes, because I tried this earlier
                in the year, and could not make it work at all. The
                only things I've done to help were to add 'apm=on' to
                the lilo.conf (or the ms-dos batch file that calls
                loadlin) and that business about gpm.

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Ned Ragdnuos"
                article:http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/?start