i8000 Rage 128 Mobility Speedup!

  • moch_v_dove@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2001
      Hey everyone,

      I just bought by my i8000 Dell and been working on it for a little
      less then a week. I found some info here and some other places that
      had a XF86Cfg file to get the high resolution. That worked fine.. but
      the only problem was that screensavers and everything was slow and
      CHOPPY..... I figured out how to speed things up a bit.. The old cfg
      file had some uneffecient values in it.. I tweeked them a bit and now
      in XFree86 V4 it runs much better.. .change your Device section for
      the card to this:

      Section "Device"
      Identifier "Card0"
      Driver "ati"
      ChipSet "ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP)"
      VendorName "ATI"
      VideoRam 32768
      BoardName "Rage 128 Mobility LF"
      BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
      EndSection

      Of course you may have to change the Identfier.... If you have a
      diffrent Chipset (RL?) You can just modify the ChipSet ID to reflect
      the extention it *should* work.. but if it doesn't check your X log
      file, it will list the ChipSets supported.... Oh Yeah..

      Now if anyone would be so kind as to tell me how to make my sound
      not so freaking choppy, I am using the newest Alsa Drivers.

      God Bless,
      James