Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: CRC Error on i8k

  • k.lichtenwalder@computer.org
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28 11:42 AM
      cavallo@... wrote:

      > Yes, to save old and working kernels is what I do, and this is the way
      > I can boot the i8k now. Just I can't understand why I'm not able to
      > make a working kernel anymore... even if I try to rebuild the whole
      > story from scratch. I even tried a make bzImage on a working config I
      > saved (after makeproper dep clean etc), and it hangs.
      >
      > I can't find a solution other than reinstall everything from scratch.
      >
      > luigi
      >
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., David Rodriguez <dibeas@i...> wrote:
      > > I would say that the kernel is corrupted in it's position now. Try
      > > recompiling (or at least make bzImage) and installing again. Also,
      > > it usually recommended to keep the last working kernel installed
      > > (configured in lilo) so that if this kind of things happen, you can
      > > always boot the older kernel.
      > >
      > > David
      > >
      > > On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 03:23:31PM -0000, cavallo@u... wrote:
      > > > Hi,
      > > > after a few successful compile/booting of kernels 2.4.1 and 2.2.18
      > on
      > > > my dell i8k,RH 7.0, all the new freshly compiled kernels hangs at
      > boot
      > > > with:

      > > > Uncompressing Linux...
      > > >
      > > > crc error

      Did you run lilo after you installed the new kernel?

      BTW: bzImage is, despite the b in front of the name, to compressed with
      bzip2. It's only a different memory layout for *b*ig kernels, as the
      standard zImage is only allowed to be up to (don't remember correctly)
      somewhere around 600K ("640K are enough for everybody"...)
      bzImage has a different memory layout and a different loading position
      and thus can be larger.

      Klaus
      Klaus Lichtenwalder, Dipl. Inform., http://www.webforum.de/Klaus/
      Fax +49-(0)89-91072699 Lichtenwalder@...
      NIC: KL2100, KL76-RIPE K.Lichtenwalder@...
      PGP Key fingerprint = 2658 EA97 E1A1 2680 5ECA 0036 80F5 F250 3CF8
      C2C7