Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: What harddrive in Inspiron 8000?u

  • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2001
      Honestly, I don't think the difference between ATA100 and ATA66 is going
      to make any noticeable difference. Assuming the two drives spin at
      the same 4,200 RPM, and that they both have a 2 MB cache, then the difference
      is that the ATA100 drive will theoretically empty the 2MB cache 1/50th of
      a second, while the ATA66 drive will take 1/33rd of a second to do the
      same. After that, they will both operate at the same transfer rate.

      1/33 = 3/100, 1/50 = 2/100, so we are talking about 1/100 of a second
      maximum possible improvement, during the first 2 MB of the data transfer.
      And that assumes the data was in the cache to begin with. Actually,
      this is a simplification, and you might periodically gain another 1/100
      of a second, but that means that overall, if you transferred 1 GB, and
      gained 1/100 sec every 2 MB, then you would gain about 5 seconds for
      1 GB, which would take about 60-65 seconds to transfer at 16 MB/sec.
      It just isn't a tremendous gain at all, and in the real world you
      will likely see much less actual improvement than that.

      This is not to say that you should not get the ATA100 disk if
      you paid for it, it is just to say that in that case you are
      paying extra for very little (or no) gain.

      Theoretically, higher density platters and a faster rotation speed
      would have a bigger impact on disk performance. Thus, the ATA66
      32 GB IBM Travelstart 32GH (5400RPM, higher density) should theoretically
      have noticeably greater performance than a 20 GB ATA100 disk rotating
      at 4200 RPM. However, when I asked somebody to tell me what hdparm
      was giving for that drive on an Inspiron 8000, it was about 16 MB
      sec, or about the same as my theoretically slower 20 GB disk.

      For what it is worth, I have a Hitachi DK23BA-20, which is also
      a ATA66 drive. /sbin/hdparm shows it as being in UDMA4 mode,
      which is ATA66, and indicates about 16 MB/sec transfer rate.
      Anybody care to post some numbers for a ATA100 laptop drive?

      --
      John Cronin