Problem with RedHat 7.0 + Inspiron 8000: LILO hangs upon install ...

  • klaus@hildner.de
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2001
      ... (displays "LI" only)

      Hi all,

      I got my RedHat 7.0 today (official ISO images) + tried several
      installs but it always failed after installation as the LILO prompt
      only appeared as "LI" and then the machine hung. (should look into
      the readme's for details)

      I tried installation in text + graphics mode (the ATI Rage Mobility
      was correctly detected with 32 MB, though the hardware test crashed
      the box) with several partition settings (all with the boot partition
      < track 1024, with a 10 GB Win2KPro/NTFS physically behind; total
      hard disk size is 30 GB) but it was all useless. Even an update from
      6.2 to 7.0 without repartitioning and without rewriting the working
      LILO MBR from RedHat 6.2 failed!!!

      My USB Logitech optical mouse worked (only the buttons, though not
      the web wheel).

      I now think of getting SuSE 7.1. (a SuSE 6.3 which I have here hangs
      upon the hardware detection during install)

      Any hints? please send CC to klaus@...

      Kind regards

      Klaus
    • Thomas Jacob
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2001
        Hallo Klaus,

        geb' doch mal ein bi?chen mehr uber Deine Partitionierung, Betriebssysteme
        und Bootmedien bekannt.

        Gru?
        Thomas Jacob