Re: 8000 + LINUX + W2K = many issues I need advice on

  • stuart@bh90210.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2001
      Joel:

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Joel Epstein <samiam@d...> wrote:
      > Stuart....
      >
      > I have the same machine... it runs great.

      You bet it does!

      > 1) You needn't really upgrade the whole os... you could simply
      upgrade to
      > X4.

      too late, I have RH7 installed already.

      > 2) I've found that windows should go on first, with linux on the
      next
      > partition. Be aware that you will need to modify your Lilo config
      file to
      > make it compatible with it's bootsector being places above the first
      > 1024mb. The lilo readme will will explain that, or you can search
      on
      > redhat's sight. Should you have problems with lilo, I will be glad
      to send
      > you my file.

      Already had it that way, and I know my lilo.conf works, but I dont
      know what I did to it to make it work. I think it just always did
      from RH6.2 forward.

      > 3) The ATI mobility 4XAGP card kicks ass. The resolution on this
      thing is
      > unreal. Support via RedHat7 is wonderful.

      It steamrolls the hell out of anything I have seen yet!?!

      > 4) The audio is slightly tricky. Watch this group, as people talk
      about the
      > audio drivers contantly. It is my understanding that the latest
      OSS set
      > will work just fine. I haven't bothered to set mine up as of yet.
      >
      > This link had all the information I needed to setup mine
      effectively.
      > http://orion.chem.vt.edu/i8000/

      It is a very useful website, I had already located it via linux.org
      at the Linux Laptops page.

      Thanks though.

      Stuart,
      Beverly Hills, CA