[linux-dell-laptops] Re: ATI on CPx H500GT

  • Robin Hillman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2000
      I just picked up my Latitude H500GT and installed Linux only to find
      that the ATI Rage Mobility chipset is not yet supported yet but the ATI
      Rage LT Pro chipset are now supported using XFree86 v3.3.5. Check the
      ATI web site
      at http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource_centre/dev_rel/linux.html
      regarding Xfree86 support for this chipset...... Looks like we're gonna
      have to wait a while !!!

      "james" <jame-@...> wrote:
      =273
      > Hello,
      >
      > Just got a Latitude H500GT w/ATI Rage 3D 8MB video card and installed
      > RedHat6.1. XConfiguration installs the Mach64 server and recommends
      > 1024x768 at 32bpp. When I try to test it the screen turns some funny
      > colors and then dies. If I choose not to test and accept it's values
      > and startx the screen just goes blank. I have tried all resolutions
      and
      > color depths with the same results. I also tried the fix mentioned in
      > how to fix this? I was never able to get it working properly with the
      > CPi400GT w/NeoMagic 256ZX either. Thanks

    • Fox Purtill
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2000
        First, download the i75olnxf.rpm file from the Dell drivers web site
        closest to you.

        From LILO you can write

        > linux vga=791

        or just add it to your /etc/lilo.conf file.

        I don't know how much the users here know obout Linux so here is some
        more help. If you copied the rpm to a floppy you might have to mount
        the floppy drive as well and then access it. To do this..

        mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

        then:

        cd /mnt/floppy

        The rpm-file you just got at the Dell pages just gets forced in using
        the following command.

        rpm -ivh i75olnxf.rpm --force

        Works well.

        "robin hillman" <rhillma-@...> wrote:
        =290
        > I just picked up my Latitude H500GT and installed Linux only to find
        > that the ATI Rage Mobility chipset is not yet supported yet but the
        ATI
        > Rage LT Pro chipset are now supported using XFree86 v3.3.5. Check the
        > ATI web site
        > at http://www.ati.com/na/pages/resource_centre/dev_rel/linux.html
        > regarding Xfree86 support for this chipset...... Looks like we're
        gonna
        > have to wait a while !!!
        >

        > "james" <jame-@...> wrote:
        > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/?sta
        rt
        > =273
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > Just got a Latitude H500GT w/ATI Rage 3D 8MB video card and
        installed
        > > RedHat6.1. XConfiguration installs the Mach64 server and recommends
        > > 1024x768 at 32bpp. When I try to test it the screen turns some funny
        > > colors and then dies. If I choose not to test and accept it's values
        > > and startx the screen just goes blank. I have tried all resolutions
        > and
        > > color depths with the same results. I also tried the fix mentioned
        in
        as
        > > how to fix this? I was never able to get it working properly with
        the
        > > CPi400GT w/NeoMagic 256ZX either. Thanks

      • Jim Brown
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2000
          I was able to get the new Xfree86 3.3.6 mach 64 X server from the
          Xfree86 ftp site and install it in place of the 3.3.5 mach 64 binary.
          Xconfigurator successfully found the rage pro mobility and generated an
          XF86Config file that worked. I could not get 24 bit or 32 bit to work
          but 16 bit seems ok

          =373