Re: [linux-dell-laptops] linux on m6500 precision

  • Drew Eckhardt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
      --- On Tue, 7/6/10, Walter Cazzola <cazzola@...> wrote:

      >On the other hand, how can I address 8Gb of RAM with a 32bit OS?

      With less than 4G per process and in buffer cache.

      The better choice is to install a 64 bit kernel, bi-arch user land with both 32 and 64 bit shared libraries (ubuntu used to be either 32 or 64 bits, Red Hat used to do both, but I couldn't tell you want the current state of things is), and 32 bit versions of applications where plug-in support is problematic notably firefox. I didn't have good results with the plugin adapter to run 32 bit plugins in 64 bit firefox.
    • Walter Cazzola
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 7, 2010
        On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Drew Eckhardt wrote:

        > --- On Tue, 7/6/10, Walter Cazzola <cazzola@...> wrote:

        >> On the other hand, how can I address 8Gb of RAM with a 32bit OS?

        > With less than 4G per process and in buffer cache.

        Is it possible to limit the RAM of each process? if so how?

        > The better choice is to install a 64 bit kernel, bi-arch user land
        > with both 32 and 64 bit shared libraries (ubuntu used to be either 32
        > or 64 bits, Red Hat used to do both, but I couldn't tell you want the
        > current state of things is), and 32 bit versions of applications where
        > plug-in support is problematic notably firefox. I didn't have good
        > results with the plugin adapter to run 32 bit plugins in 64 bit
        > firefox.

        I'll give a look to the fedore architecture, if, as you suggest, it has
        the double set of libraries it will be my choice.

        Thanks all for the help

        Walter

        --
        Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
        E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 02 503 16300 Fax: +39 02 503 16253
        Message 3 of 8 , May 8, 2012
          I have no experience with 64-bit systems, but I suggest that you obtain a .iso of your favorite Linux distro. Let your PC boot to the DVD and run in Live mode to determine if your hardware is compatible.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Walter Cazzola <cazzola@...> wrote:

          > Dear Linuxers,
          > I hope there is still someone here and not only the spammers.
          >
          > I've just bought a new dell m6500 prevision with i7 quad core and nvidia
          > Fx3800M and I'd like to install linux on this monster.
          >
          > The processor is a truly 64 bit and mounting 8Gb of RAM let me think to
          > install a 64bit linux. I don't have any experience with 64bit linux and
          > I'm quite worried about the compatibility with drivers and nonstandard
          > applications that normally are distributed just as 32 bit.
          >
          > Which is your experience with 64bit linux? Could you install (and use)
          > 32bit SW on a 64bit operating system?
          >
          > I'm used to install Mandriva on my machine but lately I found it quite
          > deluding and I would like to give a try to fedora or debian (I don't
          > like ubuntu) which is your experience with this distributions? any of
          > you installed them on a m6500 precision? any suggestion/experience is
          > appreciated especially regarding the hardware compatibility issues.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for the help.
          >
          > Walter
          >
          > --
          > Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
          > E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 02 503 16300 Fax: +39 02 503 16253
          > · · · ---------------------------- · · · ---------------------------- · · ·
          > ... recursive: adjective, see recursive ...
          > · · · ---------------------------- · · · ---------------------------- · · ·

        • Alexandre Lymberopoulos
          Message 4 of 8 , May 8, 2012
            > > Dear Linuxers,
            > > I hope there is still someone here and not only the spammers.

            You found at least one here. :)

            > > I've just bought a new dell m6500 prevision with i7 quad core and nvidia
            > > Fx3800M and I'd like to install linux on this monster.

            What a machine! Congratulations for this purchase!

            > > Which is your experience with 64bit linux? Could you install (and use)
            > > 32bit SW on a 64bit operating system?

            This is possible, but I remember that most of free software on linux is
            avaible to many plataforms, in particular 64bit PCs.

            You should check the linux kernel tree to find if drivers to your
            components are available.

            On the distribution choice I'm a huge fan of Debian and since my
            computers as not as powerful as your, I install no desktop enviroment,
            just X and Fluxbox. :-)

            Recently I tried XFCE (suggestion of Linus Torvalds when GNOME 3 was
            released) and it looks great on this notebook here (Celeron M 460Mhz,
            2GB RAM)

            > > Thanks in advance for the help.

            Hope this helps you. Feel free to reply asking more details.

            > > Walter

            All of the best, Alexandre
            Alexandre Lymberopoulos - lymber@...