linux on m6500 precision

  • Walter Cazzola
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2010
      Dear Linuxers,
      I hope there is still someone here and not only the spammers.

      I've just bought a new dell m6500 prevision with i7 quad core and nvidia
      Fx3800M and I'd like to install linux on this monster.

      The processor is a truly 64 bit and mounting 8Gb of RAM let me think to
      install a 64bit linux. I don't have any experience with 64bit linux and
      I'm quite worried about the compatibility with drivers and nonstandard
      applications that normally are distributed just as 32 bit.

      Which is your experience with 64bit linux? Could you install (and use)
      32bit SW on a 64bit operating system?

      I'm used to install Mandriva on my machine but lately I found it quite
      deluding and I would like to give a try to fedora or debian (I don't
      like ubuntu) which is your experience with this distributions? any of
      you installed them on a m6500 precision? any suggestion/experience is
      appreciated especially regarding the hardware compatibility issues.

      Thanks in advance for the help.

      Walter

      --
      Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
      E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 02 503 16300 Fax: +39 02 503 16253

        A friend of mine has a m6500 i7 quad core extreme, ATI graphic card.
        He has installed ubuntu 10.04 64 bits.
        He told me it works well, except :
        - - Sometimes, when the computer or the screen is in sleep-mode, it cannot
        restart (no display, no keyboard)... maybe a Ubuntu bug ?
        - - The plug-in flash for firefox does not always work. It is possible to
        solve the problem with a beta-version of libflashplayer.so 64 bits.
        - - He did not manage to make Microphone and webcam work.

        I think 64 bits is not a good idea. Some non-OpenSource softwares or
        drivers do not exist in 64 bits.

        Alex.

        Le 01/07/2010 12:00, Walter Cazzola a écrit :

        > Dear Linuxers,
        > I hope there is still someone here and not only the spammers.
        >
        > I've just bought a new dell m6500 prevision with i7 quad core and nvidia
        > Fx3800M and I'd like to install linux on this monster.
        >
        > The processor is a truly 64 bit and mounting 8Gb of RAM let me think to
        > install a 64bit linux. I don't have any experience with 64bit linux and
        > I'm quite worried about the compatibility with drivers and nonstandard
        > applications that normally are distributed just as 32 bit.
        >
        > Which is your experience with 64bit linux? Could you install (and use)
        > 32bit SW on a 64bit operating system?
        >
        > I'm used to install Mandriva on my machine but lately I found it quite
        > deluding and I would like to give a try to fedora or debian (I don't
        > like ubuntu) which is your experience with this distributions? any of
        > you installed them on a m6500 precision? any suggestion/experience is
        > appreciated especially regarding the hardware compatibility issues.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for the help.
        >
        > Walter
        >
        > --
        > Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
        > E-mail cazzola@... <mailto:cazzola%40dico.unimi.it> Ph.: +39
        > 02 503 16300 Fax: +39 02 503 16253
        > · · · ---------------------------- · · · ---------------------------- · · ·
        > ... recursive: adjective, see recursive ...
        > · · · ---------------------------- · · · ---------------------------- · · ·

      • Walter Cazzola
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
          Hi Alexandre,
          thanks for the prompt reply

          On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Tessier Alexandre wrote:

          > A friend of mine has a m6500 i7 quad core extreme, ATI graphic card.
          > He has installed ubuntu 10.04 64 bits.
          > He told me it works well, except :
          > - - Sometimes, when the computer or the screen is in sleep-mode, it cannot
          > restart (no display, no keyboard)... maybe a Ubuntu bug ?

          well, suspend and resume has always been an issue under linux. Also with
          32bit versions.

          > - - The plug-in flash for firefox does not always work. It is possible to
          > solve the problem with a beta-version of libflashplayer.so 64 bits.

          yes I got this on a different source and from what I can work out just
          nw flash doesn't work very well on windows 64bit too.

          > - - He did not manage to make Microphone and webcam work.

          this could be an issue especially the mic.

          > I think 64 bits is not a good idea. Some non-OpenSource softwares or
          > drivers do not exist in 64 bits.

          On the other hand, how can I address 8Gb of RAM with a 32bit OS? 4+4
          virtual cores are correctly handled with 32bits?

          Walter

          --
          Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
          E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 02 503 16300 Fax: +39 02 503 16253
          · · · ---------------------------- · · · ---------------------------- · · ·
          ... recursive: adjective, see recursive ...
          · · · ---------------------------- · · · ---------------------------- · · ·
        • Wayne Feick
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
            On 07/06/2010 11:02 AM, Walter Cazzola wrote:

            On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Tessier Alexandre wrote:

            > A friend of mine has a m6500 i7 quad core extreme, ATI graphic card.
            > He has installed ubuntu 10.04 64 bits.
            > He told me it works well, except :
            > - - Sometimes, when the computer or the screen is in sleep-mode, it cannot
            > restart (no display, no keyboard)... maybe a Ubuntu bug ?

            well, suspend and resume has always been an issue under linux. Also with
            32bit versions.

            I've found with older core 2 duo M6500 that sometimes the display doesn't come back right after suspend/resume. The work around is to ctrl-alt-f2 to go to a text console, then ctrl-alt-f1 to go back to the graphical console. That seems to reset the display hardware appropriately.

            Wayne.

          • Drew Eckhardt
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2010
              --- On Tue, 7/6/10, Walter Cazzola <cazzola@...> wrote:

              >On the other hand, how can I address 8Gb of RAM with a 32bit OS?

              With less than 4G per process and in buffer cache.

              The better choice is to install a 64 bit kernel, bi-arch user land with both 32 and 64 bit shared libraries (ubuntu used to be either 32 or 64 bits, Red Hat used to do both, but I couldn't tell you want the current state of things is), and 32 bit versions of applications where plug-in support is problematic notably firefox. I didn't have good results with the plugin adapter to run 32 bit plugins in 64 bit firefox.
            • Walter Cazzola
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7, 2010
                On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Drew Eckhardt wrote:

                > --- On Tue, 7/6/10, Walter Cazzola <cazzola@...> wrote:

                >> On the other hand, how can I address 8Gb of RAM with a 32bit OS?

                > With less than 4G per process and in buffer cache.

                Is it possible to limit the RAM of each process? if so how?

                > The better choice is to install a 64 bit kernel, bi-arch user land
                > with both 32 and 64 bit shared libraries (ubuntu used to be either 32
                > or 64 bits, Red Hat used to do both, but I couldn't tell you want the
                > current state of things is), and 32 bit versions of applications where
                > plug-in support is problematic notably firefox. I didn't have good
                > results with the plugin adapter to run 32 bit plugins in 64 bit
                > firefox.

                I'll give a look to the fedore architecture, if, as you suggest, it has
                the double set of libraries it will be my choice.

                Thanks all for the help

                Walter

                --
                Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
                E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 02 503 16300 Fax: +39 02 503 16253
                · · · ---------------------------- · · · ---------------------------- · · ·
                ... recursive: adjective, see recursive ...
                · · · ---------------------------- · · · ---------------------------- · · ·
              • MoTown
                Message 7 of 8 , May 8, 2012
                  I have no experience with 64-bit systems, but I suggest that you obtain a .iso of your favorite Linux distro. Let your PC boot to the DVD and run in Live mode to determine if your hardware is compatible.

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Walter Cazzola <cazzola@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Linuxers,
                  > I hope there is still someone here and not only the spammers.
                  >
                  > I've just bought a new dell m6500 prevision with i7 quad core and nvidia
                  > Fx3800M and I'd like to install linux on this monster.
                  >
                  > The processor is a truly 64 bit and mounting 8Gb of RAM let me think to
                  > install a 64bit linux. I don't have any experience with 64bit linux and
                  > I'm quite worried about the compatibility with drivers and nonstandard
                  > applications that normally are distributed just as 32 bit.
                  >
                  > Which is your experience with 64bit linux? Could you install (and use)
                  > 32bit SW on a 64bit operating system?
                  >
                  > I'm used to install Mandriva on my machine but lately I found it quite
                  > deluding and I would like to give a try to fedora or debian (I don't
                  > like ubuntu) which is your experience with this distributions? any of
                  > you installed them on a m6500 precision? any suggestion/experience is
                  > appreciated especially regarding the hardware compatibility issues.
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance for the help.
                  >
                  > Walter
                  >
                  > --
                  > Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
                  > E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 02 503 16300 Fax: +39 02 503 16253
                  > · · · ---------------------------- · · · ---------------------------- · · ·
                  > ... recursive: adjective, see recursive ...
                  > · · · ---------------------------- · · · ---------------------------- · · ·

                • Alexandre Lymberopoulos
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 8, 2012
                    > > Dear Linuxers,
                    > > I hope there is still someone here and not only the spammers.

                    You found at least one here. :)

                    > > I've just bought a new dell m6500 prevision with i7 quad core and nvidia
                    > > Fx3800M and I'd like to install linux on this monster.

                    What a machine! Congratulations for this purchase!

                    > > Which is your experience with 64bit linux? Could you install (and use)
                    > > 32bit SW on a 64bit operating system?

                    This is possible, but I remember that most of free software on linux is
                    avaible to many plataforms, in particular 64bit PCs.

                    You should check the linux kernel tree to find if drivers to your
                    components are available.

                    On the distribution choice I'm a huge fan of Debian and since my
                    computers as not as powerful as your, I install no desktop enviroment,
                    just X and Fluxbox. :-)

                    Recently I tried XFCE (suggestion of Linus Torvalds when GNOME 3 was
                    released) and it looks great on this notebook here (Celeron M 460Mhz,
                    2GB RAM)

                    > > Thanks in advance for the help.

                    Hope this helps you. Feel free to reply asking more details.

                    > > Walter

                    All of the best, Alexandre
                    Alexandre Lymberopoulos - lymber@...