Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Tripple boot?

  • Matthew Geier
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 22, 2001
      bilbo wrote:

      > On 21 Feb 2001, at 23:48, David Rodriguez wrote:
      >
      > > > Another windows program I've found recently is VirtualCD, which is
      > > > windows only - you can copy cd images to your hard drive and
      > > > mount them. Saves a lot of power.
      . I think it
      > > is rather easy dumping a CD into a hd (as a file) and mounting it if
      > > the kernel has loopback support. The image can even be done with cat
      > > (I think, I'll have to check again).
      > >
      > > cat /dev/cdrom > cdimage.iso
      > > mount -o loop -t isofs cdimage.iso /mnt
      > >

      > Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking about this after I posted -
      > I know I should think _before_ I post!
      > Anyway I'm still too used to the windows way of doing things,
      > where you have to have a CD in the drive for some programs to
      > work.

      I've done this in the past on a Samba server so that the windows 95 and
      windows NT disk images were always available to the workstations - to
      counter the annoying habit of windows demanding the CD every time you
      change something. The PC's usually didn't have CD drives anyway - we
      didn't need them, every thing was net installed....

      --
      Matthew Geier matthew@...
      Arts IT Unit +61 2 9351 4713