Re: Windows ME & linux on 5000e

  • John Cronin
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22 6:18 AM
      Matt stated:
      > I have a client who ordered a 5000e and when it came in, he opted to go with a
      > Windows ME and RH 6.2 linux dual boot. Knowing nothing about ME, I gave him
      > what he asked for, but now I find out that ME has so many conflicts with this
      > DVD drive, his CDRW, his software for his cable modem, his power management,
      > etc, that I recommended that he downgrade to 98 or upgrade to 2000. Is there
      > some way to do this without redoing the linux side as well?

      Hmm, I don't have any problems with Windows ME on my i8000; I primarily use
      Linux but I have used Windows ME more than I suspected I would in the two
      weeks I have had this system. I have burned several CDs, a few straight
      from the DVD to the CDRW. Just FYI...

      As far as the upgrade, sure, you just install 98 or 2000, which will probably
      blow LILO out of the MBR (assuming you are using LILO). Make sure you have
      a Linux boot floppy handy, boot from floppy into Linux, and run lilo again
      to update the MBR - you should go back to dual boot. Alternatively, if
      Windows 2000 is installed, it may be possible just to use the bootloader
      program that I think comes with 2000 (I have zero experience with 2000)
      to handle your dual-boot needs.

      --
      John Cronin