Re: Promiscuous? PCMCIA on i8K?

  • John Cronin
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22 5:54 AM
      Rob stated:
      -> I recently tried to install the pcmcia-cs-24.tar.gz on my dell I8k
      -> and when i installed it it did not give me any PnP options on the
      -> make config...pcmcia still hangs at boot. im running the 2.4.1 kernel
      -> with the ac7 patch. any reason or fix for this...i hate having to bot
      -> in interactive constantly. I dont understand why it wont work...it
      -> worked with the 2.2.16 kernel.

      From this, I assume you don't actually need PCMCIA for your system to
      be functional? If so, the workaround (in Redhat, anyway, your mileage
      may vary with other distributions) is easy:

      chkconfig --level 2345 pcmcia off

      I did this with my 2.2.17-14 kernel, as I just don't need PCMCIA since
      I have the integrated mini-PCI modem/Ethernet. When 2.4.X becomes more
      stable on the i8000, with working PCMCIA, will move to it then.

      I think you can use linuxconf or other interactive tools to turn this
      off too. In any event, I don't have to do interactive booting, and
      I boot faster too. I turn off a LOT of services in this fashion; in
      conserves resources and it makes the system more secure by not running
      services you don't need. It can also make the system more stable - the
      less things you run, the less things there are that can go wrong. You
      boot faster too if you start up less things at boot time.

      If you find you need the service later, you can just turn it back on:

      chkconfig --level 2345 pcmcia on

      --
      John Cronin