Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Oracle is definitely buying Sun, including Java, Solaris and MySQL

  • bil
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2009
      On Monday 20 April 2009 02:44:27 pm ken wrote:
      > Given that MySQL is a competitor of Oracle and that Oracle will almost
      > certainly let MySQL die, this sale should be prohibited by federal statute.
      >
      > > Sun and Oracle today announced a definitive agreement for Oracle to
      > > acquire Sun for $9.50 per share in cash. The Sun Board of Directors has
      > > unanimously approved the transaction. It is anticipated to close this
      > > summer.
      > >

      > > http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/media/presskits/2009-0420/index.jsp

      But we can take the source and keep it alive, so Oracle can't kill MySQL.
      And as others have pointed out, MySQL targets a different market then Oracle.
      Who is going to buy a Oracle licence for their Wordpress blog? MySQL also
      directly competes with MS-SQL, and rumor has it that Larry hates Bill, so why
      would he lessen the competition on him?