Oracle is definitely buying Sun, including Java, Solaris and MySQL

  • ken
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2009
      Given that MySQL is a competitor of Oracle and that Oracle will almost
      certainly let MySQL die, this sale should be prohibited by federal statute.

      > Sun and Oracle today announced a definitive agreement for Oracle to
      > acquire Sun for $9.50 per share in cash. The Sun Board of Directors has
      > unanimously approved the transaction. It is anticipated to close this
      > summer.
      >

      > http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/media/presskits/2009-0420/index.jsp
    • bil
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 2009
        On Monday 20 April 2009 02:44:27 pm ken wrote:
        > Given that MySQL is a competitor of Oracle and that Oracle will almost
        > certainly let MySQL die, this sale should be prohibited by federal statute.
        >
        > > Sun and Oracle today announced a definitive agreement for Oracle to
        > > acquire Sun for $9.50 per share in cash. The Sun Board of Directors has
        > > unanimously approved the transaction. It is anticipated to close this
        > > summer.
        > >

        > > http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/media/presskits/2009-0420/index.jsp

        But we can take the source and keep it alive, so Oracle can't kill MySQL.
        And as others have pointed out, MySQL targets a different market then Oracle.
        Who is going to buy a Oracle licence for their Wordpress blog? MySQL also
        directly competes with MS-SQL, and rumor has it that Larry hates Bill, so why
        would he lessen the competition on him?