Re: [linux-dell-laptops] internal hard drive DELL800 latitude

  • Alexandre Lymberopoulos
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
      Almost totally agree with Ardell, but it depends on the computing
      needs of a person. I'm in the low profile side, since I don't have
      multi core cpus to do all the "simple" computing I do.

      And a personal advice: *do* backup all of your valuable data.

      []s, lymber
      Alexandre Lymberopoulos - lymber@...
    • Allan Gottlieb
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
        At Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:13:05 -0400 Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:

        > On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 15:59 (-0600), bil wrote:
        >
        >> I remember reading some battery performanace tests, from Phronix I
        >> think, that said 5200 rpm provided better life
        > The specs I read from the manufacturers indicated the newer generation
        > 7200's were no more power hungry than the older 5400's. I didn't look
        > and see if the newer 5400's (if there were any at the time) were
        > different than the old 5400's (it wouldn't be surprising if the were
        > better).
        >
        >> and the read write performace was not much slower then 7200 rpm with
        >> larger disks since the data is packed so close together on the disk
        >> platter.
        > ? If the disks have the same density, the 7200 RPM one should read
        > 72/54 times as fast once the reading/writing starts, no?

        Sure, but for modest blocksizes the transfer time you mention is less
        than either the seek time or rotational latency.
        Rotational latency for 7200 would be only 54/72 that of a 5400
        (analogous to your point about transfer time).

        allan
      • Peter Fork
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
          Hi
          I know they aren't cheep but what about a slid state drive (SSD) they are getting lower and lower in price buy the month and their are even a few of them that support PATA 100 as well. I would say the 128GB modells are resonably priced. You need to install drivers etc offcourse but if you are willing to open your laptop with a screwdriver you probably can fix that too.

          Go to a shooping site and search for good prices on a flash drive its the future anyway.
          \Peter