Re: [linux-dell-laptops] internal hard drive DELL800 latitude

  • Ardell Faul
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 13 10:17 PM
      For what it's worth, I see a lot of failed hard drives in the laptop
      repair business, and my experience has been that the drives most prone
      to fail are the ones over 100Gbyte. In fact, I don't think I have ever
      had to replace a drive in the 40 to 80 Gbyte range. And almost without
      exception, the drives I see in laptops almost never have anything like
      even 40 gbytes of data in them. Anybody who downloads and carrys around
      160 Gbytes worth of important data in a laptop is being foolish. Very
      foolish. They are just asking for it, and they usually get it. I don't
      understand why anybody would even WANT to put a very large hard drive in
      a laptop. If you want to collect a lot of music or video, an external
      backup drive or a desktop drive is a much more sane choice. It is just
      plain stupid to carry around a laptop with a lot of data stored in the
      hard drive. One slip of the hand, or a good solid thump under the area
      where the hard drive is, and you can kiss all your data goodbye.

      I guess it is the Geek Squad blurb, you know--put in a 160 Gbyte hard
      drive, 2 gigs of memory, and flash the BIOS and you will have a
      screaming machine.

      What a bunch of shit that is.

      Ardell Faul
      Computer Monitor Service Inc.
      Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
      10816 E. Mission Ave.,
      Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
      ardell@...
      509-891-5188

      kiyer25 wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > My 80 GB 7200 rpm internal hard drive (hitachi) died (just 3 year and 1
      > month). I would like to buy a internal hard drive which is reliable and
      > best one with reasonable price as well.
      >
      > I am looking for 160 GB with 5400 or 7200 hard drive.
      >
      > It is IDE 2.5, ata 100, 8MB buffer. Really appreciate suggestion and
      > any inputs to buy a new approbriate internal hard drive for my DELL800.
      >
      > Thanks a lot
      >
      > cheers
      > kris

    • kiyer25
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 13 10:44 PM
        Hi Ardell Faul,

        Seems you are frustrated or trying to blame everyone who is having
        the internal hard drive with large size.

        I did asked for the suggestion and recommendation with respect to
        buying internal hard drive approbriate to my laptop.

        Your reply neither help or useless with respect to my question, it
        would much more appreciate and valued if you give me the suggestion
        to buy right one with either low or higher size or rpm rather than
        critise them without even knowing individual needs. Seems that your
        lack of understanding.

        hope you will get little matured and civilized in replying
        appropriate to the questions or needs.

        have a good day (try to cool yourself down)

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ardell Faul <ardell@...>
        wrote:

        > For what it's worth, I see a lot of failed hard drives in the
        laptop
        > repair business, and my experience has been that the drives most
        prone
        > to fail are the ones over 100Gbyte. In fact, I don't think I have
        ever
        > had to replace a drive in the 40 to 80 Gbyte range. And almost
        without
        > exception, the drives I see in laptops almost never have anything
        like
        > even 40 gbytes of data in them. Anybody who downloads and carrys
        around
        > 160 Gbytes worth of important data in a laptop is being foolish.
        Very
        > foolish. They are just asking for it, and they usually get it. I
        don't
        > understand why anybody would even WANT to put a very large hard
        drive in
        > a laptop. If you want to collect a lot of music or video, an
        external
        > backup drive or a desktop drive is a much more sane choice. It is
        just
        > plain stupid to carry around a laptop with a lot of data stored in
        the
        > hard drive. One slip of the hand, or a good solid thump under the
        area
        > where the hard drive is, and you can kiss all your data goodbye.
        >
        > I guess it is the Geek Squad blurb, you know--put in a 160 Gbyte
        hard
        > drive, 2 gigs of memory, and flash the BIOS and you will have a
        > screaming machine.
        >
        > What a bunch of shit that is.
        >
        > Ardell Faul
        > Computer Monitor Service Inc.
        > Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
        > 10816 E. Mission Ave.,
        > Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
        > ardell@...
        > 509-891-5188
        >

        > kiyer25 wrote:
        >
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > My 80 GB 7200 rpm internal hard drive (hitachi) died (just 3 year
        and 1
        > > month). I would like to buy a internal hard drive which is
        reliable and
        > > best one with reasonable price as well.
        > >
        > > I am looking for 160 GB with 5400 or 7200 hard drive.
        > >
        > > It is IDE 2.5, ata 100, 8MB buffer. Really appreciate suggestion
        and
        > > any inputs to buy a new approbriate internal hard drive for my
        DELL800.

        > > Thanks a lot
        > >
        > > cheers
        > > kris

      • Jim Diamond
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 14 7:39 AM
          On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 22:17 (-0800), Ardell Faul wrote:

          > For what it's worth, I see a lot of failed hard drives in the laptop
          > repair business, and my experience has been that the drives most prone
          > to fail are the ones over 100Gbyte. In fact, I don't think I have ever
          > had to replace a drive in the 40 to 80 Gbyte range. And almost without
          > exception, the drives I see in laptops almost never have anything like
          > even 40 gbytes of data in them. Anybody who downloads and carrys around
          > 160 Gbytes worth of important data in a laptop is being foolish. Very
          > foolish. They are just asking for it, and they usually get it. I don't
          > understand why anybody would even WANT to put a very large hard drive in
          > a laptop. If you want to collect a lot of music or video, an external
          > backup drive or a desktop drive is a much more sane choice. It is just
          > plain stupid to carry around a laptop with a lot of data stored in the
          > hard drive. One slip of the hand, or a good solid thump under the area
          > where the hard drive is, and you can kiss all your data goodbye.

          > I guess it is the Geek Squad blurb, you know--put in a 160 Gbyte hard
          > drive, 2 gigs of memory, and flash the BIOS and you will have a
          > screaming machine.

          > What a bunch of shit that is.

          Your reply is neither helpful nor well-thought out. Just because
          someone has a large drive in their laptop does not mean that they
          don't have it backed up somewhere, so your assumption that they will
          lose all their data if their disk goes kaput is just silly.

          Second, Kris didn't say his data is important.

          Third, the point of having a laptop is mobility. There is no point in
          having a laptop if you have to carry around your desktop or external
          drives to get at your data.

          Or maybe I'm just a foolish person, like almost everyone I know who
          uses their laptop as their primary computing platform.

          > kiyer25 wrote:

          >> Hi all,

          >> My 80 GB 7200 rpm internal hard drive (hitachi) died (just 3 year and 1
          >> month). I would like to buy a internal hard drive which is reliable and
          >> best one with reasonable price as well.

          >> I am looking for 160 GB with 5400 or 7200 hard drive.

          >> It is IDE 2.5, ata 100, 8MB buffer. Really appreciate suggestion and
          >> any inputs to buy a new approbriate internal hard drive for my DELL800.

          >> Thanks a lot

          Kris (and other apparently foolish people :-)

          I put a Seagate Momentus ST9320421AS 320 GB 7200 RPM disk in my laptop
          a few months ago, and I have no complaints. This was a "state of the
          art" disk when I bought it, but it wouldn't surprise me that it is now
          last week's news.

          I see that Hitachi has dropped the price on their 320 GB 7200 RPM
          laptop drive (e.g, HTS723232L9A360 in their 7K320 series) to under
          $100 here in Canada; YMMV. (I might have picked that one had it been
          available at the time I bought this disk (May or June, for nearly
          twice that price!).)

          Fujitsu also has an offering, MHZ2320BJ.

          All of these disks are very similar is performance and power
          consumption specs (as near as I can tell: they use different ways of
          specifying some of the specs). They all have 16 MB buffers and 300
          MB/sec data transfer rates (interface, not media).

          Seagate had a 5 year warranty, Fujitsu was 3 years, I don't have the
          info for Hitachi.

          WD also made a 320 GB 7200 drive, but there was something about it I
          didn't like (possibly performance was lower).

          Someone (Fujitsu?) announced a 500 GB drive some time around June, but
          it was only a 5400 RPM drive. For me, speed was more important than
          the extra space (320 is plenty for me), but you may have a different
          viewpoint.

          There are variations on the models, some including built-in
          encryption, others with G-force sensors, others with blah blah blah.
          But trying to find those extra features at your favourite discount
          parts store may be tricky.

          Anyway, you should be able to find something you like at a reasonable
          price.

          Cheers.
          Jim
        • Allan Gottlieb
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 14 8:14 AM
            At Sun, 14 Dec 2008 11:39:21 -0400 Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:

            > On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 22:17 (-0800), Ardell Faul wrote:
            >
            >> For what it's worth, I see a lot of failed hard drives in the laptop
            >> repair business, and my experience has been that the drives most prone
            >> to fail are the ones over 100Gbyte. In fact, I don't think I have ever
            >> had to replace a drive in the 40 to 80 Gbyte range. And almost without
            >> exception, the drives I see in laptops almost never have anything like
            >> even 40 gbytes of data in them. Anybody who downloads and carrys around
            >> 160 Gbytes worth of important data in a laptop is being foolish. Very
            >> foolish. They are just asking for it, and they usually get it. I don't
            >> understand why anybody would even WANT to put a very large hard drive in
            >> a laptop. If you want to collect a lot of music or video, an external
            >> backup drive or a desktop drive is a much more sane choice. It is just
            >> plain stupid to carry around a laptop with a lot of data stored in the
            >> hard drive. One slip of the hand, or a good solid thump under the area
            >> where the hard drive is, and you can kiss all your data goodbye.
            >
            >> I guess it is the Geek Squad blurb, you know--put in a 160 Gbyte hard
            >> drive, 2 gigs of memory, and flash the BIOS and you will have a
            >> screaming machine.
            >
            >> What a bunch of shit that is.
            >
            > Your reply is neither helpful nor well-thought out. Just because
            > someone has a large drive in their laptop does not mean that they
            > don't have it backed up somewhere, so your assumption that they will
            > lose all their data if their disk goes kaput is just silly.
            >
            > Second, Kris didn't say his data is important.
            >
            > Third, the point of having a laptop is mobility. There is no point in
            > having a laptop if you have to carry around your desktop or external
            > drives to get at your data.
            >
            > Or maybe I'm just a foolish person, like almost everyone I know who
            > uses their laptop as their primary computing platform.

            I agree. At home every morning I do a backup (dump) from the laptop to
            a desktop and via the internet to New York University, where I teach.
            Those days when I go to work, I do an additional backup to NYU and often
            a third to both sites when I come home. All these are performed
            partition to partition on the laptop in single user mode and then the
            directory containing the dumps is rsync'ed to the desktop(s) in
            multiuser mode. Plus I have a cron job that does an rsync of the
            live filesystem.

            I find it very convenient to have all my data with me at both sites.

            allan
          • Jim Diamond
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 14 8:26 AM
              On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 11:14 (-0500), Allan Gottlieb wrote:

              > At Sun, 14 Dec 2008 11:39:21 -0400 Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:

              >> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 22:17 (-0800), Ardell Faul wrote:

              ...snipped...

              >>> What a bunch of shit that is.

              >> Your reply is neither helpful nor well-thought out. Just because
              >> someone has a large drive in their laptop does not mean that they
              >> don't have it backed up somewhere, so your assumption that they will
              >> lose all their data if their disk goes kaput is just silly.

              >> Second, Kris didn't say his data is important.

              >> Third, the point of having a laptop is mobility. There is no point in
              >> having a laptop if you have to carry around your desktop or external
              >> drives to get at your data.

              >> Or maybe I'm just a foolish person, like almost everyone I know who
              >> uses their laptop as their primary computing platform.

              > I agree. At home every morning I do a backup (dump) from the laptop to
              > a desktop and via the internet to New York University, where I teach.
              > Those days when I go to work, I do an additional backup to NYU and often
              > a third to both sites when I come home. All these are performed
              > partition to partition on the laptop in single user mode and then the
              > directory containing the dumps is rsync'ed to the desktop(s) in
              > multiuser mode. Plus I have a cron job that does an rsync of the
              > live filesystem.

              > I find it very convenient to have all my data with me at both sites.

              Have you considered Unison? I've been using that for a while, with
              good success. On the days when I go in to my university (Acadia), I
              often work from my desktop, which means my updates need to be done
              bi-directionally, which Unison handles nicely.

              And when at home, I "backup" to another laptop there with Unison.

              Ardell's comment that "having all of your valuable data only on your
              laptop is dangerous" (which was part of what I snipped out) is quite
              valid, it is too bad that he chose to phrase it in the way he did.
              Regardless of how the message was delivered, at the risk of sounding
              preachy, I encourage all of you to realize that it is not "if" your
              disk goes bad, it is "when". You might be thinking that "it has never
              happened to me", but there are a lot of people who *used to* think the
              exact same way. At my university, all of the students have had
              laptops for something like the last 10 or 12 years. And as much as
              you can warn people about not abusing their laptop and backing up
              their data, there are always a few who find out the hard way that
              disks occasionally fail.

              Cheers.
              Jim
            • Allan Gottlieb
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 14 1:18 PM
                At Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:26:37 -0400 Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:

                > On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 11:14 (-0500), Allan Gottlieb wrote:
                >
                >> I agree. At home every morning I do a backup (dump) from the laptop to
                >> a desktop and via the internet to New York University, where I teach.
                >> Those days when I go to work, I do an additional backup to NYU and often
                >> a third to both sites when I come home. All these are performed
                >> partition to partition on the laptop in single user mode and then the
                >> directory containing the dumps is rsync'ed to the desktop(s) in
                >> multiuser mode. Plus I have a cron job that does an rsync of the
                >> live filesystem.
                >
                >> I find it very convenient to have all my data with me at both sites.
                >
                > Have you considered Unison? I've been using that for a while, with
                > good success. On the days when I go in to my university (Acadia), I
                > often work from my desktop, which means my updates need to be done
                > bi-directionally, which Unison handles nicely.

                I don't see much different. I plug my monitor and keyboard/mouse into
                the laptop; every hour my files are rsync'ed to the desktop and I have
                the single user dumps one or more times a day that are also on desktops

                > And when at home, I "backup" to another laptop there with Unison.
                >
                > Ardell's comment that "having all of your valuable data only on your
                > laptop is dangerous" (which was part of what I snipped out) is quite
                > valid, it is too bad that he chose to phrase it in the way he did.
                > Regardless of how the message was delivered, at the risk of sounding
                > preachy, I encourage all of you to realize that it is not "if" your
                > disk goes bad, it is "when".

                I agree and *when* my laptop disk went bad a year ago, nyu loaned me
                another laptop while I ordered a replacement. My dumps were valid and I
                lost no data.

                I am not arguing against keeping the master copy on a desktop or server,
                just that the "primary laptop" is viable as well.

                allan
              • bil
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 14 1:59 PM
                  I remember reading some battery performanace tests, from Phronix I think, that
                  said 5200 rpm provided better life and the read write performace was not much
                  slower then 7200 rpm with larger disks since the data is packed so close
                  together on the disk platter. They also did not see any battery life
                  increase with solid state drives.

                  On Saturday 13 December 2008 11:20:19 pm kiyer25 wrote:
                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > My 80 GB 7200 rpm internal hard drive (hitachi) died (just 3 year and 1
                  > month). I would like to buy a internal hard drive which is reliable and
                  > best one with reasonable price as well.
                  >
                  > I am looking for 160 GB with 5400 or 7200 hard drive.
                  >
                  > It is IDE 2.5, ata 100, 8MB buffer. Really appreciate suggestion and
                  > any inputs to buy a new approbriate internal hard drive for my DELL800.
                  >
                  > Thanks a lot
                  >
                  > cheers
                  > kris
                • Jim Diamond
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 14 2:13 PM
                    On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 15:59 (-0600), bil wrote:

                    > I remember reading some battery performanace tests, from Phronix I
                    > think, that said 5200 rpm provided better life
                    The specs I read from the manufacturers indicated the newer generation
                    7200's were no more power hungry than the older 5400's. I didn't look
                    and see if the newer 5400's (if there were any at the time) were
                    different than the old 5400's (it wouldn't be surprising if the were
                    better).

                    > and the read write performace was not much slower then 7200 rpm with
                    > larger disks since the data is packed so close together on the disk
                    > platter.
                    ? If the disks have the same density, the 7200 RPM one should read
                    72/54 times as fast once the reading/writing starts, no?

                    Cheers.
                    Jim
                  • Alexandre Lymberopoulos
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 14 4:56 PM
                      Almost totally agree with Ardell, but it depends on the computing
                      needs of a person. I'm in the low profile side, since I don't have
                      multi core cpus to do all the "simple" computing I do.

                      And a personal advice: *do* backup all of your valuable data.

                      []s, lymber
                      Alexandre Lymberopoulos - lymber@...
                    • Allan Gottlieb
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 14 5:09 PM
                        At Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:13:05 -0400 Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:

                        > On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 15:59 (-0600), bil wrote:
                        >
                        >> I remember reading some battery performanace tests, from Phronix I
                        >> think, that said 5200 rpm provided better life
                        > The specs I read from the manufacturers indicated the newer generation
                        > 7200's were no more power hungry than the older 5400's. I didn't look
                        > and see if the newer 5400's (if there were any at the time) were
                        > different than the old 5400's (it wouldn't be surprising if the were
                        > better).
                        >
                        >> and the read write performace was not much slower then 7200 rpm with
                        >> larger disks since the data is packed so close together on the disk
                        >> platter.
                        > ? If the disks have the same density, the 7200 RPM one should read
                        > 72/54 times as fast once the reading/writing starts, no?

                        Sure, but for modest blocksizes the transfer time you mention is less
                        than either the seek time or rotational latency.
                        Rotational latency for 7200 would be only 54/72 that of a 5400
                        (analogous to your point about transfer time).

                        allan
                      • Peter Fork
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 14 7:14 PM
                          Hi
                          I know they aren't cheep but what about a slid state drive (SSD) they are getting lower and lower in price buy the month and their are even a few of them that support PATA 100 as well. I would say the 128GB modells are resonably priced. You need to install drivers etc offcourse but if you are willing to open your laptop with a screwdriver you probably can fix that too.

                          Go to a shooping site and search for good prices on a flash drive its the future anyway.
                          \Peter

                          > For what it's worth, I see a lot of failed hard drives
                          > in the laptop
                          > repair business, and my experience has been that the drives
                          > most prone
                          > to fail are the ones over 100Gbyte. In fact, I don't
                          > think I have ever
                          > had to replace a drive in the 40 to 80 Gbyte range. And
                          > almost without
                          > exception, the drives I see in laptops almost never have
                          > anything like
                          > even 40 gbytes of data in them. Anybody who downloads and
                          > carrys around
                          > 160 Gbytes worth of important data in a laptop is being
                          > foolish. Very
                          > foolish. They are just asking for it, and they usually get
                          > it. I don't
                          > understand why anybody would even WANT to put a very large
                          > hard drive in
                          > a laptop. If you want to collect a lot of music or video,
                          > an external
                          > backup drive or a desktop drive is a much more sane choice.
                          > It is just
                          > plain stupid to carry around a laptop with a lot of data
                          > stored in the
                          > hard drive. One slip of the hand, or a good solid thump
                          > under the area
                          > where the hard drive is, and you can kiss all your data
                          > goodbye.
                          >
                          > I guess it is the Geek Squad blurb, you know--put in a 160
                          > Gbyte hard
                          > drive, 2 gigs of memory, and flash the BIOS and you will
                          > have a
                          > screaming machine.
                          >
                          > What a bunch of shit that is.
                          >
                          > Ardell Faul
                          > Computer Monitor Service Inc.
                          > Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
                          > 10816 E. Mission Ave.,
                          > Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
                          > ardell@...
                          > 509-891-5188
                          >

                          > kiyer25 wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hi all,
                          > >
                          > > My 80 GB 7200 rpm internal hard drive (hitachi) died
                          > (just 3 year and 1
                          > > month). I would like to buy a internal hard drive
                          > which is reliable and
                          > > best one with reasonable price as well.
                          > >
                          > > I am looking for 160 GB with 5400 or 7200 hard drive.
                          > >
                          > > It is IDE 2.5, ata 100, 8MB buffer. Really appreciate
                          > suggestion and
                          > > any inputs to buy a new approbriate internal hard
                          > drive for my DELL800.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks a lot
                          > >
                          > > cheers
                          > > kris

                          Låna pengar utan säkerhet. Jämför vilkor online hos Kelkoo.
                          http://www.kelkoo.se/c-100390123-lan-utan-sakerhet.html?partnerId=96915014