internal hard drive DELL800 latitude

  • kiyer25
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 13, 2008
      Hi all,

      My 80 GB 7200 rpm internal hard drive (hitachi) died (just 3 year and 1
      month). I would like to buy a internal hard drive which is reliable and
      best one with reasonable price as well.

      I am looking for 160 GB with 5400 or 7200 hard drive.

      It is IDE 2.5, ata 100, 8MB buffer. Really appreciate suggestion and
      any inputs to buy a new approbriate internal hard drive for my DELL800.

      Thanks a lot

      cheers
      kris
    • Ardell Faul
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 13, 2008
        For what it's worth, I see a lot of failed hard drives in the laptop
        repair business, and my experience has been that the drives most prone
        to fail are the ones over 100Gbyte. In fact, I don't think I have ever
        had to replace a drive in the 40 to 80 Gbyte range. And almost without
        exception, the drives I see in laptops almost never have anything like
        even 40 gbytes of data in them. Anybody who downloads and carrys around
        160 Gbytes worth of important data in a laptop is being foolish. Very
        foolish. They are just asking for it, and they usually get it. I don't
        understand why anybody would even WANT to put a very large hard drive in
        a laptop. If you want to collect a lot of music or video, an external
        backup drive or a desktop drive is a much more sane choice. It is just
        plain stupid to carry around a laptop with a lot of data stored in the
        hard drive. One slip of the hand, or a good solid thump under the area
        where the hard drive is, and you can kiss all your data goodbye.

        I guess it is the Geek Squad blurb, you know--put in a 160 Gbyte hard
        drive, 2 gigs of memory, and flash the BIOS and you will have a
        screaming machine.

        What a bunch of shit that is.

        Ardell Faul
        Computer Monitor Service Inc.
        Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
        10816 E. Mission Ave.,
        Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
        ardell@...
        509-891-5188

        kiyer25 wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > My 80 GB 7200 rpm internal hard drive (hitachi) died (just 3 year and 1
        > month). I would like to buy a internal hard drive which is reliable and
        > best one with reasonable price as well.
        >
        > I am looking for 160 GB with 5400 or 7200 hard drive.
        >
        > It is IDE 2.5, ata 100, 8MB buffer. Really appreciate suggestion and
        > any inputs to buy a new approbriate internal hard drive for my DELL800.
        >
        > Thanks a lot
        >
        > cheers
        > kris

      • kiyer25
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 13, 2008
          Hi Ardell Faul,

          Seems you are frustrated or trying to blame everyone who is having
          the internal hard drive with large size.

          I did asked for the suggestion and recommendation with respect to
          buying internal hard drive approbriate to my laptop.

          Your reply neither help or useless with respect to my question, it
          would much more appreciate and valued if you give me the suggestion
          to buy right one with either low or higher size or rpm rather than
          critise them without even knowing individual needs. Seems that your
          lack of understanding.

          hope you will get little matured and civilized in replying
          appropriate to the questions or needs.

          have a good day (try to cool yourself down)

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ardell Faul <ardell@...>
          wrote:

          > For what it's worth, I see a lot of failed hard drives in the
          laptop
          > repair business, and my experience has been that the drives most
          prone
          > to fail are the ones over 100Gbyte. In fact, I don't think I have
          ever
          > had to replace a drive in the 40 to 80 Gbyte range. And almost
          without
          > exception, the drives I see in laptops almost never have anything
          like
          > even 40 gbytes of data in them. Anybody who downloads and carrys
          around
          > 160 Gbytes worth of important data in a laptop is being foolish.
          Very
          > foolish. They are just asking for it, and they usually get it. I
          don't
          > understand why anybody would even WANT to put a very large hard
          drive in
          > a laptop. If you want to collect a lot of music or video, an
          external
          > backup drive or a desktop drive is a much more sane choice. It is
          just
          > plain stupid to carry around a laptop with a lot of data stored in
          the
          > hard drive. One slip of the hand, or a good solid thump under the
          area
          > where the hard drive is, and you can kiss all your data goodbye.
          >
          > I guess it is the Geek Squad blurb, you know--put in a 160 Gbyte
          hard
          > drive, 2 gigs of memory, and flash the BIOS and you will have a
          > screaming machine.
          >
          > What a bunch of shit that is.
          >
          > Ardell Faul
          > Computer Monitor Service Inc.
          > Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
          > 10816 E. Mission Ave.,
          > Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
          > ardell@...
          > 509-891-5188
          >

          > kiyer25 wrote:
          >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > My 80 GB 7200 rpm internal hard drive (hitachi) died (just 3 year
          and 1
          > > month). I would like to buy a internal hard drive which is
          reliable and
          > > best one with reasonable price as well.
          > >
          > > I am looking for 160 GB with 5400 or 7200 hard drive.
          > >
          > > It is IDE 2.5, ata 100, 8MB buffer. Really appreciate suggestion
          and
          > > any inputs to buy a new approbriate internal hard drive for my
          DELL800.

          > > Thanks a lot
          > >
          > > cheers
          > > kris

        • Jim Diamond
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
            On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 22:17 (-0800), Ardell Faul wrote:

            > For what it's worth, I see a lot of failed hard drives in the laptop
            > repair business, and my experience has been that the drives most prone
            > to fail are the ones over 100Gbyte. In fact, I don't think I have ever
            > had to replace a drive in the 40 to 80 Gbyte range. And almost without
            > exception, the drives I see in laptops almost never have anything like
            > even 40 gbytes of data in them. Anybody who downloads and carrys around
            > 160 Gbytes worth of important data in a laptop is being foolish. Very
            > foolish. They are just asking for it, and they usually get it. I don't
            > understand why anybody would even WANT to put a very large hard drive in
            > a laptop. If you want to collect a lot of music or video, an external
            > backup drive or a desktop drive is a much more sane choice. It is just
            > plain stupid to carry around a laptop with a lot of data stored in the
            > hard drive. One slip of the hand, or a good solid thump under the area
            > where the hard drive is, and you can kiss all your data goodbye.

            > I guess it is the Geek Squad blurb, you know--put in a 160 Gbyte hard
            > drive, 2 gigs of memory, and flash the BIOS and you will have a
            > screaming machine.

            > What a bunch of shit that is.

            Your reply is neither helpful nor well-thought out. Just because
            someone has a large drive in their laptop does not mean that they
            don't have it backed up somewhere, so your assumption that they will
            lose all their data if their disk goes kaput is just silly.

            Second, Kris didn't say his data is important.

            Third, the point of having a laptop is mobility. There is no point in
            having a laptop if you have to carry around your desktop or external
            drives to get at your data.

            Or maybe I'm just a foolish person, like almost everyone I know who
            uses their laptop as their primary computing platform.

            > kiyer25 wrote:

            >> Hi all,

            >> My 80 GB 7200 rpm internal hard drive (hitachi) died (just 3 year and 1
            >> month). I would like to buy a internal hard drive which is reliable and
            >> best one with reasonable price as well.

            >> I am looking for 160 GB with 5400 or 7200 hard drive.

            >> It is IDE 2.5, ata 100, 8MB buffer. Really appreciate suggestion and
            >> any inputs to buy a new approbriate internal hard drive for my DELL800.

            >> Thanks a lot

            Kris (and other apparently foolish people :-)

            I put a Seagate Momentus ST9320421AS 320 GB 7200 RPM disk in my laptop
            a few months ago, and I have no complaints. This was a "state of the
            art" disk when I bought it, but it wouldn't surprise me that it is now
            last week's news.

            I see that Hitachi has dropped the price on their 320 GB 7200 RPM
            laptop drive (e.g, HTS723232L9A360 in their 7K320 series) to under
            $100 here in Canada; YMMV. (I might have picked that one had it been
            available at the time I bought this disk (May or June, for nearly
            twice that price!).)

            Fujitsu also has an offering, MHZ2320BJ.

            All of these disks are very similar is performance and power
            consumption specs (as near as I can tell: they use different ways of
            specifying some of the specs). They all have 16 MB buffers and 300
            MB/sec data transfer rates (interface, not media).

            Seagate had a 5 year warranty, Fujitsu was 3 years, I don't have the
            info for Hitachi.

            WD also made a 320 GB 7200 drive, but there was something about it I
            didn't like (possibly performance was lower).

            Someone (Fujitsu?) announced a 500 GB drive some time around June, but
            it was only a 5400 RPM drive. For me, speed was more important than
            the extra space (320 is plenty for me), but you may have a different
            viewpoint.

            There are variations on the models, some including built-in
            encryption, others with G-force sensors, others with blah blah blah.
            But trying to find those extra features at your favourite discount
            parts store may be tricky.

            Anyway, you should be able to find something you like at a reasonable
            price.

            Cheers.
            Jim
          • Allan Gottlieb
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
              At Sun, 14 Dec 2008 11:39:21 -0400 Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:

              > On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 22:17 (-0800), Ardell Faul wrote:
              >
              >> For what it's worth, I see a lot of failed hard drives in the laptop
              >> repair business, and my experience has been that the drives most prone
              >> to fail are the ones over 100Gbyte. In fact, I don't think I have ever
              >> had to replace a drive in the 40 to 80 Gbyte range. And almost without
              >> exception, the drives I see in laptops almost never have anything like
              >> even 40 gbytes of data in them. Anybody who downloads and carrys around
              >> 160 Gbytes worth of important data in a laptop is being foolish. Very
              >> foolish. They are just asking for it, and they usually get it. I don't
              >> understand why anybody would even WANT to put a very large hard drive in
              >> a laptop. If you want to collect a lot of music or video, an external
              >> backup drive or a desktop drive is a much more sane choice. It is just
              >> plain stupid to carry around a laptop with a lot of data stored in the
              >> hard drive. One slip of the hand, or a good solid thump under the area
              >> where the hard drive is, and you can kiss all your data goodbye.
              >
              >> I guess it is the Geek Squad blurb, you know--put in a 160 Gbyte hard
              >> drive, 2 gigs of memory, and flash the BIOS and you will have a
              >> screaming machine.
              >
              >> What a bunch of shit that is.
              >
              > Your reply is neither helpful nor well-thought out. Just because
              > someone has a large drive in their laptop does not mean that they
              > don't have it backed up somewhere, so your assumption that they will
              > lose all their data if their disk goes kaput is just silly.
              >
              > Second, Kris didn't say his data is important.
              >
              > Third, the point of having a laptop is mobility. There is no point in
              > having a laptop if you have to carry around your desktop or external
              > drives to get at your data.
              >
              > Or maybe I'm just a foolish person, like almost everyone I know who
              > uses their laptop as their primary computing platform.

              I agree. At home every morning I do a backup (dump) from the laptop to
              a desktop and via the internet to New York University, where I teach.
              Those days when I go to work, I do an additional backup to NYU and often
              a third to both sites when I come home. All these are performed
              partition to partition on the laptop in single user mode and then the
              directory containing the dumps is rsync'ed to the desktop(s) in
              multiuser mode. Plus I have a cron job that does an rsync of the
              live filesystem.

              I find it very convenient to have all my data with me at both sites.

              allan
            • Jim Diamond
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
                On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 11:14 (-0500), Allan Gottlieb wrote:

                > At Sun, 14 Dec 2008 11:39:21 -0400 Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:

                >> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 22:17 (-0800), Ardell Faul wrote:

                ...snipped...

                >>> What a bunch of shit that is.

                >> Your reply is neither helpful nor well-thought out. Just because
                >> someone has a large drive in their laptop does not mean that they
                >> don't have it backed up somewhere, so your assumption that they will
                >> lose all their data if their disk goes kaput is just silly.

                >> Second, Kris didn't say his data is important.

                >> Third, the point of having a laptop is mobility. There is no point in
                >> having a laptop if you have to carry around your desktop or external
                >> drives to get at your data.

                >> Or maybe I'm just a foolish person, like almost everyone I know who
                >> uses their laptop as their primary computing platform.

                > I agree. At home every morning I do a backup (dump) from the laptop to
                > a desktop and via the internet to New York University, where I teach.
                > Those days when I go to work, I do an additional backup to NYU and often
                > a third to both sites when I come home. All these are performed
                > partition to partition on the laptop in single user mode and then the
                > directory containing the dumps is rsync'ed to the desktop(s) in
                > multiuser mode. Plus I have a cron job that does an rsync of the
                > live filesystem.

                > I find it very convenient to have all my data with me at both sites.

                Have you considered Unison? I've been using that for a while, with
                good success. On the days when I go in to my university (Acadia), I
                often work from my desktop, which means my updates need to be done
                bi-directionally, which Unison handles nicely.

                And when at home, I "backup" to another laptop there with Unison.

                Ardell's comment that "having all of your valuable data only on your
                laptop is dangerous" (which was part of what I snipped out) is quite
                valid, it is too bad that he chose to phrase it in the way he did.
                Regardless of how the message was delivered, at the risk of sounding
                preachy, I encourage all of you to realize that it is not "if" your
                disk goes bad, it is "when". You might be thinking that "it has never
                happened to me", but there are a lot of people who *used to* think the
                exact same way. At my university, all of the students have had
                laptops for something like the last 10 or 12 years. And as much as
                you can warn people about not abusing their laptop and backing up
                their data, there are always a few who find out the hard way that
                disks occasionally fail.

                Cheers.
                Jim
              • Allan Gottlieb
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
                  At Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:26:37 -0400 Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:

                  > On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 11:14 (-0500), Allan Gottlieb wrote:
                  >
                  >> I agree. At home every morning I do a backup (dump) from the laptop to
                  >> a desktop and via the internet to New York University, where I teach.
                  >> Those days when I go to work, I do an additional backup to NYU and often
                  >> a third to both sites when I come home. All these are performed
                  >> partition to partition on the laptop in single user mode and then the
                  >> directory containing the dumps is rsync'ed to the desktop(s) in
                  >> multiuser mode. Plus I have a cron job that does an rsync of the
                  >> live filesystem.
                  >
                  >> I find it very convenient to have all my data with me at both sites.
                  >
                  > Have you considered Unison? I've been using that for a while, with
                  > good success. On the days when I go in to my university (Acadia), I
                  > often work from my desktop, which means my updates need to be done
                  > bi-directionally, which Unison handles nicely.

                  I don't see much different. I plug my monitor and keyboard/mouse into
                  the laptop; every hour my files are rsync'ed to the desktop and I have
                  the single user dumps one or more times a day that are also on desktops

                  > And when at home, I "backup" to another laptop there with Unison.
                  >
                  > Ardell's comment that "having all of your valuable data only on your
                  > laptop is dangerous" (which was part of what I snipped out) is quite
                  > valid, it is too bad that he chose to phrase it in the way he did.
                  > Regardless of how the message was delivered, at the risk of sounding
                  > preachy, I encourage all of you to realize that it is not "if" your
                  > disk goes bad, it is "when".

                  I agree and *when* my laptop disk went bad a year ago, nyu loaned me
                  another laptop while I ordered a replacement. My dumps were valid and I
                  lost no data.

                  I am not arguing against keeping the master copy on a desktop or server,
                  just that the "primary laptop" is viable as well.

                  allan
                • bil
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
                    I remember reading some battery performanace tests, from Phronix I think, that
                    said 5200 rpm provided better life and the read write performace was not much
                    slower then 7200 rpm with larger disks since the data is packed so close
                    together on the disk platter. They also did not see any battery life
                    increase with solid state drives.

                    On Saturday 13 December 2008 11:20:19 pm kiyer25 wrote:
                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > My 80 GB 7200 rpm internal hard drive (hitachi) died (just 3 year and 1
                    > month). I would like to buy a internal hard drive which is reliable and
                    > best one with reasonable price as well.
                    >
                    > I am looking for 160 GB with 5400 or 7200 hard drive.
                    >
                    > It is IDE 2.5, ata 100, 8MB buffer. Really appreciate suggestion and
                    > any inputs to buy a new approbriate internal hard drive for my DELL800.
                    >
                    > Thanks a lot
                    >
                    > cheers
                    > kris
                  • Jim Diamond
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
                      On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 15:59 (-0600), bil wrote:

                      > I remember reading some battery performanace tests, from Phronix I
                      > think, that said 5200 rpm provided better life
                      The specs I read from the manufacturers indicated the newer generation
                      7200's were no more power hungry than the older 5400's. I didn't look
                      and see if the newer 5400's (if there were any at the time) were
                      different than the old 5400's (it wouldn't be surprising if the were
                      better).

                      > and the read write performace was not much slower then 7200 rpm with
                      > larger disks since the data is packed so close together on the disk
                      > platter.
                      ? If the disks have the same density, the 7200 RPM one should read
                      72/54 times as fast once the reading/writing starts, no?

                      Cheers.
                      Jim
                    • Alexandre Lymberopoulos
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
                        Almost totally agree with Ardell, but it depends on the computing
                        needs of a person. I'm in the low profile side, since I don't have
                        multi core cpus to do all the "simple" computing I do.

                        And a personal advice: *do* backup all of your valuable data.

                        []s, lymber
                        Alexandre Lymberopoulos - lymber@...
                      • Allan Gottlieb
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
                          At Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:13:05 -0400 Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:

                          > On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 15:59 (-0600), bil wrote:
                          >
                          >> I remember reading some battery performanace tests, from Phronix I
                          >> think, that said 5200 rpm provided better life
                          > The specs I read from the manufacturers indicated the newer generation
                          > 7200's were no more power hungry than the older 5400's. I didn't look
                          > and see if the newer 5400's (if there were any at the time) were
                          > different than the old 5400's (it wouldn't be surprising if the were
                          > better).
                          >
                          >> and the read write performace was not much slower then 7200 rpm with
                          >> larger disks since the data is packed so close together on the disk
                          >> platter.
                          > ? If the disks have the same density, the 7200 RPM one should read
                          > 72/54 times as fast once the reading/writing starts, no?

                          Sure, but for modest blocksizes the transfer time you mention is less
                          than either the seek time or rotational latency.
                          Rotational latency for 7200 would be only 54/72 that of a 5400
                          (analogous to your point about transfer time).

                          allan
                        • Peter Fork
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 14, 2008
                            Hi
                            I know they aren't cheep but what about a slid state drive (SSD) they are getting lower and lower in price buy the month and their are even a few of them that support PATA 100 as well. I would say the 128GB modells are resonably priced. You need to install drivers etc offcourse but if you are willing to open your laptop with a screwdriver you probably can fix that too.

                            Go to a shooping site and search for good prices on a flash drive its the future anyway.
                            \Peter

                            > For what it's worth, I see a lot of failed hard drives
                            > in the laptop
                            > repair business, and my experience has been that the drives
                            > most prone
                            > to fail are the ones over 100Gbyte. In fact, I don't
                            > think I have ever
                            > had to replace a drive in the 40 to 80 Gbyte range. And
                            > almost without
                            > exception, the drives I see in laptops almost never have
                            > anything like
                            > even 40 gbytes of data in them. Anybody who downloads and
                            > carrys around
                            > 160 Gbytes worth of important data in a laptop is being
                            > foolish. Very
                            > foolish. They are just asking for it, and they usually get
                            > it. I don't
                            > understand why anybody would even WANT to put a very large
                            > hard drive in
                            > a laptop. If you want to collect a lot of music or video,
                            > an external
                            > backup drive or a desktop drive is a much more sane choice.
                            > It is just
                            > plain stupid to carry around a laptop with a lot of data
                            > stored in the
                            > hard drive. One slip of the hand, or a good solid thump
                            > under the area
                            > where the hard drive is, and you can kiss all your data
                            > goodbye.
                            >
                            > I guess it is the Geek Squad blurb, you know--put in a 160
                            > Gbyte hard
                            > drive, 2 gigs of memory, and flash the BIOS and you will
                            > have a
                            > screaming machine.
                            >
                            > What a bunch of shit that is.
                            >
                            > Ardell Faul
                            > Computer Monitor Service Inc.
                            > Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
                            > 10816 E. Mission Ave.,
                            > Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
                            > ardell@...
                            > 509-891-5188
                            >

                            > kiyer25 wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hi all,
                            > >
                            > > My 80 GB 7200 rpm internal hard drive (hitachi) died
                            > (just 3 year and 1
                            > > month). I would like to buy a internal hard drive
                            > which is reliable and
                            > > best one with reasonable price as well.
                            > >
                            > > I am looking for 160 GB with 5400 or 7200 hard drive.
                            > >
                            > > It is IDE 2.5, ata 100, 8MB buffer. Really appreciate
                            > suggestion and
                            > > any inputs to buy a new approbriate internal hard
                            > drive for my DELL800.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks a lot
                            > >
                            > > cheers
                            > > kris

                            Låna pengar utan säkerhet. Jämför vilkor online hos Kelkoo.
                            http://www.kelkoo.se/c-100390123-lan-utan-sakerhet.html?partnerId=96915014