Inspiron 1100 hanges with Ubuntu 8.10

  • Greg Viola
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2008
      I am having a problem getting Ubuntu 8.10 to run on my Inspiron 1100.
      While it installed without issue, after reboot and signon, the OS
      appears to hang with nothing besides a blank orange screen and a
      moveable mouse cursor. Am running the A32 BIOS. Any thoughts on what's
      happening?
    • Andrew Lees

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2008
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Viola" <gviola@...>
          wrote:

          > I am having a problem getting Ubuntu 8.10 to run on my Inspiron
          1100.
          > While it installed without issue, after reboot and signon, the OS
          > appears to hang with nothing besides a blank orange screen and a
          > moveable mouse cursor. Am running the A32 BIOS. Any thoughts on
          what's
          > happening?

          I found out what the problem is: I needed to "RTFRN"

          In the release notes, there's a workaround for the Intel 845 series-
          video adapter used in the 1100 (which essentially says to use safe
          graphics), which, while it technically works, results in two
          undesireable side effects:
          - the screen is shrunk down to a low res size
          - there are faint blue vertical lines running top to bottom that are
          both annoying and will probably burn in permanently
          I think I'll forego Ubuntu on this machine until it has native
          support for the adapter.