Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 8000+Ubuntu 8.04 and later

  • chris kirner
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 18, 2008
      Alex,

      I'm wondering how things are with your display now. After a lot of searching and fussing, including one complete re-installation, I finally have my graphics set on something besides 800x600.

      You're aware, aren't you, that you can fix the folded screen by hitting Fn F7 twice?

      The ATI Mobility M4 was developed for a 17" monitor, so it needs to be switched to work on a smaller monitor.

      As far as the 800x600 safe mode graphics are concerned, I copied someone else's xorg.conf file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) made a couple of small changes (his was an M3 with AGP2 or 3, and it was apparently in a PCI slot - while mine is in an AGP slot). I changed the name of my xorg.conf to xorg.conf-old and copied the new xorg.conf to the X11 directory and rebooted. I now have my choice of 1280x1024 or 1024x768 resolution, and one assumes, 24 bit color, though I don't know how to verify that. I also don't know if I have hardware acceleration, or not.

      It's still klunky. After all, my monitor has a standard resolution of 1600x1200, and 1280x1024 is the best I've gotten in Linux so far, and in Windows I get 32 bit color, while 24 bit is the best you can get from the open source linux drivers. Oh well, still beats being a slave to Microsoft's destructive marketing practices, I guess, and really 1280 x 1024 is already a bit too small to comfortably read.

      See ya'!

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 19, 2008
        Re: Inspiron 8000+Ubuntu 8.04 and later

        I have an Inspiron 8000 with Hardy Heron in front of me right now

        Thanks for the Fn-F7 tip, didn't know this.  But re screen res - All I did was edit xorg.conf - in the "Monitor" section somewhat optimistically added

                HorizSync 30.0-110.0
                VertRefresh 50.0-150.0

        Restarted X and bang! 1400x1050.  This is on a vanilla xorg.conf from install, didn't install anything or add any drivers...

        regards

        Ted Hayes

        This message w/attachments (message) may be privileged, confidential or proprietary, and if you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, do not use or share it and delete it. Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Merrill Lynch. Subject to applicable law, Merrill Lynch may monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems. The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. This message is subject to terms available at the following link: http://www.ml.com/e-communications_terms/. By messaging with Merrill Lynch you consent to the foregoing.

      • Peter Fork
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 19, 2008
          Hi Chris and everyone.

          I find it very intresting that you say that the Radeon M4 was constructed for a 17inch laptop witch one might I ask? Is their any independent source that can verify this?

          The reason why I ask is so that I can realy the info and continue digging up more info that can help in improving the driver support.

          Great tips Hayes I'll be sure to pass it along to fellow Inspiron users.

          CU all!

          Går det långsamt? Skaffa dig en snabbare bredbandsuppkoppling.
          Sök och jämför priser hos Kelkoo.
          http://www.kelkoo.se/c-100015813-bredband.html?partnerId=96914325
        • r0adawg

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 20, 2008
                I'm sorry Peter. I don't remember where I came across that specification. It's quite possible I got it from either the Dell forum or from ATI, but I don't remember. At the time I read it I considered it a reliable source. It makes sense in relation to the folding display....

                Chris