Inspiron 8000+Ubuntu 8.04 and later

  • sanktepernr2
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 15, 2008
      Hi.

      Dell Inspiron 8000 with ATI Mobility M4 graphics!
      Iam a tester who want to be a user of linux and I have chosen Ubuntu
      to be my distro at the moment.

      Since this is an very old laptop I first thought linux would just work
      on it and then I thought that maybe it is easier to find newer laptops
      that work since manufacturers nowadays put more effort into making
      linux work on Dell machines.

      Anyway I've tried to get Ubuntu up and running on my Dell Inspiron
      8000 machine.
      Sadly to say both Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 have problems\bugs with the Ati
      Mobility M4 discrete graphics cards and the touchpad isn't working
      either. I've filed a bug in launchpad and we're trying to see if there
      is a coresponding bug in the X.org bugzilla\tracker but no exact match
      have been decided upon.

      If anyone knows of this problem and how to solv it or wants to help
      fix\triage the bug you can find it here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/247771

      There are ATI RPM packages on the Dell support site but if those are
      in ubuntu or not I don't know. The corrupted screen can be mittigated
      by connecting an external display though this only brings a correct
      picture on the internal laptop display and doesn't recognize the
      external display witch in my case is an Samsung Syncmaster 213T.

      Iam glad for all the hlep I can get since this is stopping me from
      migrating to linux!

      Thansk for YOUR help!
    • Tessier Alexandre
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 16, 2008
        I remember I had a similar problem with an old Latitude C800 with nvidia
        geforce (2 or 4?). The display was 1400x1050 (I think this is the
        problem). I do not remember exactly how I fixed the bug. I think that I
        installed the nvidia driver, I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf and everything
        worked.
        I suggest:
        - you install ubuntu;
        - you install the ATI driver;
        - you edit xorg.conf;
        - you restart X11.

        Alex.

        --
        http://www.univ-orleans.fr/lifo/Members/tessier/
        tel: +33 (0)238494670
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 18, 2008
          Alex,

          I'm wondering how things are with your display now. After a lot of searching and fussing, including one complete re-installation, I finally have my graphics set on something besides 800x600.

          You're aware, aren't you, that you can fix the folded screen by hitting Fn F7 twice?

          The ATI Mobility M4 was developed for a 17" monitor, so it needs to be switched to work on a smaller monitor.

          As far as the 800x600 safe mode graphics are concerned, I copied someone else's xorg.conf file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) made a couple of small changes (his was an M3 with AGP2 or 3, and it was apparently in a PCI slot - while mine is in an AGP slot). I changed the name of my xorg.conf to xorg.conf-old and copied the new xorg.conf to the X11 directory and rebooted. I now have my choice of 1280x1024 or 1024x768 resolution, and one assumes, 24 bit color, though I don't know how to verify that. I also don't know if I have hardware acceleration, or not.

          It's still klunky. After all, my monitor has a standard resolution of 1600x1200, and 1280x1024 is the best I've gotten in Linux so far, and in Windows I get 32 bit color, while 24 bit is the best you can get from the open source linux drivers. Oh well, still beats being a slave to Microsoft's destructive marketing practices, I guess, and really 1280 x 1024 is already a bit too small to comfortably read.

          See ya'!

          --
          http://www.univ-orleans.fr/lifo/Members/tessier/
          tel: +33 (0)238494670

          <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:linux-dell-laptops-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:linux-dell-laptops-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Hayes, Ted (London)
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 19, 2008
            Re: Inspiron 8000+Ubuntu 8.04 and later

            I have an Inspiron 8000 with Hardy Heron in front of me right now

            Thanks for the Fn-F7 tip, didn't know this.  But re screen res - All I did was edit xorg.conf - in the "Monitor" section somewhat optimistically added

                    HorizSync 30.0-110.0
                    VertRefresh 50.0-150.0

            Restarted X and bang! 1400x1050.  This is on a vanilla xorg.conf from install, didn't install anything or add any drivers...

            regards

            Ted Hayes

            This message w/attachments (message) may be privileged, confidential or proprietary, and if you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, do not use or share it and delete it. Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Merrill Lynch. Subject to applicable law, Merrill Lynch may monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems. The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. This message is subject to terms available at the following link: http://www.ml.com/e-communications_terms/. By messaging with Merrill Lynch you consent to the foregoing.

          • Peter Fork
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 19, 2008
              Hi Chris and everyone.

              I find it very intresting that you say that the Radeon M4 was constructed for a 17inch laptop witch one might I ask? Is their any independent source that can verify this?

              The reason why I ask is so that I can realy the info and continue digging up more info that can help in improving the driver support.

              Great tips Hayes I'll be sure to pass it along to fellow Inspiron users.

              CU all!

              Går det långsamt? Skaffa dig en snabbare bredbandsuppkoppling.
              Sök och jämför priser hos Kelkoo.
              http://www.kelkoo.se/c-100015813-bredband.html?partnerId=96914325
            • r0adawg

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 20, 2008
                  Good for you, Ted. I went through so many configurations I don't know what was going on with my system. I do know that for some reason xorg wasn't automatically choosing the r128 driver. My current configuration does. My Hsynch is 31-75 and Vsynch is 50-85.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 20, 2008
                    I'm sorry Peter. I don't remember where I came across that specification. It's quite possible I got it from either the Dell forum or from ATI, but I don't remember. At the time I read it I considered it a reliable source. It makes sense in relation to the folding display....

                    Chris