latitude d820 battery problem

  • Alwin Gupta
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2008
      Hello,

      Though this is not directly related to linux, but still appreciate suggestions.

      My 1.4yrs old latitude laptop battery suddenly stopped working yesterday. It was working fine uptil now and was giving good backup. Now, the laptop is not working on battery at all and on pulling off the adaptor supply it immediately goes off. In the bios setup, in battery info section for primary battery it says "the system cannot communicate with this battery" (I do not have any secondary battery installed), and in battery status, it shows this battery 97% charges and status as charging. The charge status LED on the back of the battery shows all five green when adaptor is connected, and none without the adaptor.

      What could be the reason? It is the battery which has gone bad or something on the board?

      Thanks,
      Alwin

    • ken
      • uteck
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2008
          My wife's Dell will not detect the battery anymore, not even the Bios, but it
          runs fine off the battery. Dell support says the circuitry inside the
          battery is bad and we need to buy a new battery since it is over 2 years old.

          I think you just need a new battery.