Inspiron E1505 and OpenSuSE 11 - wireless no joy...

  • David
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7 6:30 PM
      Any thoughts on this? OpenSuSE 11 recognizes that I have a wireless
      adapter.. and recognizes the type.. but can't connect to any wireless
      access point I try using. OpenSuSE 10 had the same issue - tho on
      that one I never took the time to try to resolve it.

      Any ideas?
    • Drew Eckhardt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7 7:02 PM

        When combined with older (as RHEL5, Centos 5.1, or the Ubuntu Dell bundled) kernels and the binary drivers available for them (iwl or the older flavor) the Intel 3945 (rev 02) chip used in a lot of dells suffers extreme packet loss, enough that it won't make it through DHCP negotiation for an IP acdress.  rev 01 is fine for a lot of people.  Newer drivers work for rev 02; I used the stock 2.6.25 kernel becuase I couldn't get the back port of iwl3945 to build.  Be sure to enable the backwards compatability options for /proc because hald won't find the ACPI control files in /sys.

        Buying a Linux+laptop combination from a VAR is probably the best way to avoid these problems.