Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Latitude - What's the best graphics card for Linux

  • Drew Eckhardt
    Message 1 of 9 , May 27, 2008
      --- Tobi <listaccount@...> wrote:

      > Drew Eckhardt wrote:
      >
      > >> I'm going to buy a Latitude D830 soon,
      >
      > > You don't want to buy a "linux" laptop except from
      > > company like Linux Certified which has worked out
      > the
      > > driver and configuration issues.
      >

      > I generally don't see a problem in running Linux on
      > a Latitude D830. All
      > components are known to work with Linux. I'm just
      > not sure, which graphics
      > card is better.

      Some version of all the hardware are known to work
      with some version of Linux.

      You might install some solid version of Linux other
      people know to work (say RHEL 5.1) and find that
      version 2 of the wireless chip is being used instead
      of version 1, that all of the binary drivers don't
      work, and that the backport of the iwl driver won't
      compile with the redhat kernel. So you build a stock
      Linux 2.6.25 kernel with recent drivers that does work
      but breaks suspend because some acpi controls have
      moved from /proc to /sys unless you enable backwards
      compatability options. hald won't tell you what it's
      doing, so unless you strace it or read through the
      source you're not going to get that working.

      You might find that the BIOS has been upgraded from
      version 4 to 7 which in turn causes vbe tool to hang
      on suspends. Reading the Nvidia documentation you'll
      find that vbetool shouldn't be used. Since no one
      writes documentation any more you'll have to dig
      around and find that the files controlling that live
      in /usr/lib/pm-utils.

      Etc.

      Trying to get Linux on a laptop is a potential
      headache even if other people have successfully used
      that model+Linux version together, and (unfortunately)
      paying Dell to deal with the problem does not work.
    • Drew Eckhardt
      Message 2 of 9 , May 27, 2008
        --- Tobi <listaccount@...> wrote:

        > > Dell claims to sell a Linux version of the 1420
        > which
        >

        > I'm not interested in an Inspiron - it hast to be
        > "business-class"
        > notebook - that's the Latitude at the moment (I
        > think Vostro and XPS only
        > come with glossy WSXGA+ displays.).

        It's a personal example and caution that having Dell
        install Linux won't avoid problems.

        I've had three Linux laptops (Linux Certified, Dell
        Latitude 630, Dell Inpiron 1420) in the last five
        years. Only the Linux Certified box worked without a
        lot of tinkering.

        If your time is worth money you want to buy from a
        vendor that will deal with the headaches even if you
        get the Dell (at least one of the Linux laptop vendors
        sells a couple Latitude models).

        Lots of people who don't do that have all sorts of
        problems. Just do a web search.

        http://www.linux.com/?module=comments&func=display&cid=1190412

        If Dell guaranteed a specific hardware configuration
        went with a given SKU we wouldn't have these problems,
        but they don't.