Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Latitude - What's the best graphics card for Linux

  • Tessier Alexandre
    Message 1 of 9 , May 27, 2008
      tzaphod a écrit :

      > Hi!
      >
      > I'm going to buy a Latitude D830 soon, but haven't decided yet, what
      > graphics card to choose. For a T9300 I can select between a NVidia NVS
      > 140M or an on-board Intel GMX X3100.

      I don't know this nvidia card. You should check that it is supported by
      the nvidia driver.
      I only buy laptops with nvidia geforce graphics card (actually GeForce
      8400M GS) because nvidia provides a very good driver (with a
      configuration tool: nvidia-settings) and everything works perfectly.

      > Which of these graphics cards causes less trouble on Linux? Will the
      > GMA X3100 have enough performance for Beryl / Compiz and 3D

      no problem with nvidia cards

      > applications like Blender? I also need to run some more or less
      > complex WPF applications in a VirtualBox VM with XP or Server 2008.

      graphics applications are very slow when using vmware.

      --
      http://www.univ-orleans.fr/lifo/Members/tessier/
      tel: +33 (0)238494670
      Message 2 of 9 , May 27, 2008
        Tobi a écrit :
        > I generally don't see a problem in running Linux on a Latitude D830. All
        > components are known to work with Linux.

        I have a latitude C800, a latitude C840 and a XPS M1330 and I only use
        linux (mandriva and ubuntu). Everything works.

        > What about running an external 19" monitor with 1280 x 1024 and the
        > notebook with 1680 x 1050?
        >
        > I'm not sure, but I think I've read somewhere the GMA is limited to
        > 2048x2048, so the above combination wouldn't work.
        > Can anyone confirm this?

        I have 1280x800 on the laptop and 1600x1200 on the external monitor.

        Note that Quadro NVS 140M is supported by the nvidia driver:
        http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.12/README/appendix-a.html

        Alex.

        --
        http://www.univ-orleans.fr/lifo/Members/tessier/
        tel: +33 (0)238494670
      • Tobi
        Message 3 of 9 , May 27, 2008
          Tessier Alexandre wrote:

          > Note that Quadro NVS 140M is supported by the nvidia driver:
          > http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.12/README/appendix-a.html

          Thanks!

          So it seems the NVS 140M at least is uncritical. NVidia sadly just does
          not have OpenSource drivers like Intel or ATI. Because of this and the
          lower power consumption, I would prefer the on-board GMA X3100, but
          only if I can be sure, it works fine on Linux and supports dual head with
          my external 19" screen.

          Tobias
        • Charles Hutchinson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 27, 2008
            tzaphod wrote:
            > Hi!
            >
            > I'm going to buy a Latitude D830 soon, but haven't decided yet, what
            > graphics card to choose. For a T9300 I can select between a NVidia NVS
            > 140M or an on-board Intel GMX X3100.
            >
            > Which of these graphics cards causes less trouble on Linux? Will the
            > GMA X3100 have enough performance for Beryl / Compiz and 3D
            > applications like Blender? I also need to run some more or less
            > complex WPF applications in a VirtualBox VM with XP or Server 2008.
            >
            > What about support of external monitors? Am I restricted in the
            > resolution of the external monitor somehow?
            >
            > Anything else I should be aware of, when intending to run Linux on the
            > D830?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Tobias

            I had this laptop at my last job. Be sure to fine tune your order when
            you buy this. It will run Linux VERY well as long as you pick the right
            components. Specifically make sure you get it with the Intel wireless
            and not the Dell wireless controller.

            As for graphics I always go with Nvidia. The few times I have been
            stuck with anything else has been a disappointment to say the least.
            All the purists be damned as I want something that works. I had mine
            set to run 1600x1080 on both internal and external displays. It worked
            VERY well. I think you can now run multiple resolutions now with twinview.

            Charlie
          • Drew Eckhardt
            Message 5 of 9 , May 27, 2008
              --- Tobi <listaccount@...> wrote:

              > Drew Eckhardt wrote:
              >
              > >> I'm going to buy a Latitude D830 soon,
              >
              > > You don't want to buy a "linux" laptop except from
              > > company like Linux Certified which has worked out
              > the
              > > driver and configuration issues.
              >

              > I generally don't see a problem in running Linux on
              > a Latitude D830. All
              > components are known to work with Linux. I'm just
              > not sure, which graphics
              > card is better.

              Some version of all the hardware are known to work
              with some version of Linux.

              You might install some solid version of Linux other
              people know to work (say RHEL 5.1) and find that
              version 2 of the wireless chip is being used instead
              of version 1, that all of the binary drivers don't
              work, and that the backport of the iwl driver won't
              compile with the redhat kernel. So you build a stock
              Linux 2.6.25 kernel with recent drivers that does work
              but breaks suspend because some acpi controls have
              moved from /proc to /sys unless you enable backwards
              compatability options. hald won't tell you what it's
              doing, so unless you strace it or read through the
              source you're not going to get that working.

              You might find that the BIOS has been upgraded from
              version 4 to 7 which in turn causes vbe tool to hang
              on suspends. Reading the Nvidia documentation you'll
              find that vbetool shouldn't be used. Since no one
              writes documentation any more you'll have to dig
              around and find that the files controlling that live
              in /usr/lib/pm-utils.

              Etc.

              Trying to get Linux on a laptop is a potential
              headache even if other people have successfully used
              that model+Linux version together, and (unfortunately)
              paying Dell to deal with the problem does not work.
            • Drew Eckhardt
              Message 6 of 9 , May 27, 2008
                --- Tobi <listaccount@...> wrote:

                > > Dell claims to sell a Linux version of the 1420
                > which
                >

                > I'm not interested in an Inspiron - it hast to be
                > "business-class"
                > notebook - that's the Latitude at the moment (I
                > think Vostro and XPS only
                > come with glossy WSXGA+ displays.).

                It's a personal example and caution that having Dell
                install Linux won't avoid problems.

                I've had three Linux laptops (Linux Certified, Dell
                Latitude 630, Dell Inpiron 1420) in the last five
                years. Only the Linux Certified box worked without a
                lot of tinkering.

                If your time is worth money you want to buy from a
                vendor that will deal with the headaches even if you
                get the Dell (at least one of the Linux laptop vendors
                sells a couple Latitude models).

                Lots of people who don't do that have all sorts of
                problems. Just do a web search.

                http://www.linux.com/?module=comments&func=display&cid=1190412

                If Dell guaranteed a specific hardware configuration
                went with a given SKU we wouldn't have these problems,
                but they don't.