Re: reading cd's in dell inspiron 1000

  • quantumnight
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
      > Hi Douglas,
      > Your interpretation of 'some' is correct. Some cds are
      readableand others
      > are not readable.
      > However, In my case, it so happens that the presence of cd is not
      > detected at all by the drive. It says "Please put a disk in the
      drive"
      > Did you have same msg when you used a multi-session cd? Or does it
      say the
      > cd is not readable?

      Hi, Raghu, yes in fact the drives did appear to be unable to detect a
      disk at times. Because of that, I twice incorrectly, perhaps, replaced
      the drives. I now think that the problem stemmed from software
      incompatibilities. My linux system was always able to read the disks,
      though. The disks were written on windows systems. If I were you, I
      would find someone who can test the disks on another computer or two.
      If the disk can be read, have them add a small file to the disk and
      close the session. Then try to read the disk again on your system.
      good luck, Douglas