Re: [linux-dell-laptops] webcam recommendations?

  • Tessier Alexandre
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2008
      uteck a écrit :

      > I was just watching a show that talked about video conferencing with Skype.
      > There are only a few cameras that are supported and you need the MS version
      > of Skype for it to work.

      That's wrong, I just test it:
      - with integrated webcam (Dell XPS M1330) it works
      - with external webcam (Logitech QuickCam pro 4000) it works.
      I think it works with all webcam that works with linux.
      I don't use skype, i prefer ekiga (it is opensource and it uses
      standards h323, sip...)

      Alex.

      --
      http://www.univ-orleans.fr/lifo/Members/tessier/
      tel: +33 (0)238494670
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23, 2008
        Skype (proprietary crap... yuck!) Does support video conferencing in Linux just fine. I use the Logitech Quickcam 5000 Pro. It works just fine. But if you have a choice, choose something like Ekiga. Then at least you are using something that is standards based for audio/video conferencing. Basically try and use anything that is SIP compliant.

        But Skype is the big man on campus so if you can't convince your friends and family to switch... well they you know it at least works.

        --
        http://www.univ-orleans.fr/lifo/Members/tessier/
        tel: +33 (0)238494670

        --
        Later,
        Chad
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23, 2008
          After I responded I read the Skype article in this month's Linux Journal.
          They said web cams do work, but playback is not that good. The Linux version
          is a 2.0 beta, but the MS version is at 3.2 and has many more features. The
          one I was confused about is the HD video support. For that you need the MS
          version and a special camara.