Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: reading cd's in dell inspiron 1000

  • G Raghuram
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22, 2008
      Hi Douglas,
         Your interpretation of 'some' is correct. Some cds are readableand others are not readable.
         However, In my case, it so happens that the presence of cd is not detected at all by the drive. It says      "Please put a disk in the drive" Did you have same msg when you used a multi-session cd? Or does it say the cd is not readable?

      Terry and uteck,
        I am yet to try out your suggestions. I will get back to you asap.

      Thnaks,
      --Raghu

      On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 3:40 AM, quantumnight <dsoliver@...> wrote:

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "G Raghuram"

      <contactraghu@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems
      nowadays.
      > It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to previously read.
      > Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on other computers.

      Hi, G. Raghuram, I've been following this thread, and have a simple
      clarification question. You use the word "some", which means to me
      "not all". Is this correct? I ask because over the years a recurring
      problem I've seen on a few computers seems similar. That is that a CD
      I can read on my own and some other's computers cannot be read on the
      computer that wrote the disk, and sometimes disks written on other
      computers also can't be read. The problem I finally discovered was
      that the CD write sessions were never closed. I would using my laptop
      write a one word file to the CD, and , voila, suddenly the disk and
      the seemingly dead disk drive came back alive with all the previously
      hidden data. So, I figure that their write sessions defaulted to
      multiple session writes. I'm not talking about re writable CDs, just
      multiple sessions strung together. This is what brings my original
      query about the word "some". --Douglas

    • quantumnight
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
        > Hi Douglas,
        > Your interpretation of 'some' is correct. Some cds are
        readableand others
        > are not readable.
        > However, In my case, it so happens that the presence of cd is not
        > detected at all by the drive. It says "Please put a disk in the
        drive"
        > Did you have same msg when you used a multi-session cd? Or does it
        say the
        > cd is not readable?

        Hi, Raghu, yes in fact the drives did appear to be unable to detect a
        disk at times. Because of that, I twice incorrectly, perhaps, replaced
        the drives. I now think that the problem stemmed from software
        incompatibilities. My linux system was always able to read the disks,
        though. The disks were written on windows systems. If I were you, I
        would find someone who can test the disks on another computer or two.
        If the disk can be read, have them add a small file to the disk and
        close the session. Then try to read the disk again on your system.
        good luck, Douglas