Re: [linux-dell-laptops] reading cd's in dell inspiron 1000

  • uteck
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 20, 2008
      Boot up the computer into the bios setup
      Press 'ALT' and 'F' at the same time
      Turn 'NUM LOCK', 'SCROLL LOCK' and 'CAPS LOCK' on. (Make sure the lights on
      the keyboard are on.)
      Press 'ALT' and 'P' at the same time. The bios should now be reset to the
      factory settings.

      If this fails, then you may be out of luck unless Dell has a recall for your
      laptop. I know they did for the GX270? dekstop which I dealt with a lot were
      I used to work a few years ago.

      On Saturday 19 April 2008 11:27:40 pm G Raghuram wrote:
      > Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms when the
      > motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components attached to
      > it.
      > A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and that
      > fix
      >
      > the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.
      >
      > Uteck,
      > The bios is not detecting the drive. By resetting the bios, do you mean
      > that I should restore factory settings? Or does bios resetting mean
      > something else? Is there anyway to avoid/delay this failing of components.
      >
      > raghuram
    • quantumnight
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 22, 2008
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "G Raghuram"
        <contactraghu@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems
        nowadays.
        > It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to previously read.
        > Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on other computers.

        Hi, G. Raghuram, I've been following this thread, and have a simple
        clarification question. You use the word "some", which means to me
        "not all". Is this correct? I ask because over the years a recurring
        problem I've seen on a few computers seems similar. That is that a CD
        I can read on my own and some other's computers cannot be read on the
        computer that wrote the disk, and sometimes disks written on other
        computers also can't be read. The problem I finally discovered was
        that the CD write sessions were never closed. I would using my laptop
        write a one word file to the CD, and , voila, suddenly the disk and
        the seemingly dead disk drive came back alive with all the previously
        hidden data. So, I figure that their write sessions defaulted to
        multiple session writes. I'm not talking about re writable CDs, just
        multiple sessions strung together. This is what brings my original
        query about the word "some". --Douglas
      • G Raghuram
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 22, 2008
          Hi Douglas,
             Your interpretation of 'some' is correct. Some cds are readableand others are not readable.
             However, In my case, it so happens that the presence of cd is not detected at all by the drive. It says      "Please put a disk in the drive" Did you have same msg when you used a multi-session cd? Or does it say the cd is not readable?

          Terry and uteck,
            I am yet to try out your suggestions. I will get back to you asap.

          Thnaks,
          --Raghu

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
            > Hi Douglas,
            > Your interpretation of 'some' is correct. Some cds are
            readableand others
            > are not readable.
            > However, In my case, it so happens that the presence of cd is not
            > detected at all by the drive. It says "Please put a disk in the
            drive"
            > Did you have same msg when you used a multi-session cd? Or does it
            say the
            > cd is not readable?

            Hi, Raghu, yes in fact the drives did appear to be unable to detect a
            disk at times. Because of that, I twice incorrectly, perhaps, replaced
            the drives. I now think that the problem stemmed from software
            incompatibilities. My linux system was always able to read the disks,
            though. The disks were written on windows systems. If I were you, I
            would find someone who can test the disks on another computer or two.
            If the disk can be read, have them add a small file to the disk and
            close the session. Then try to read the disk again on your system.
            good luck, Douglas