Re: [linux-dell-laptops] reading cd's in dell inspiron 1000

  • G Raghuram
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
      Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms when the
      motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components attached to it.
      A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and that fix
      the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.

      Uteck,
         The bios is not detecting the drive. By resetting the bios, do you mean that I should restore factory settings? Or does bios resetting mean something else?  Is there anyway to avoid/delay this failing of components.

      raghuram
    • Terry
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 20, 2008
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, uteck <theuteck@...> wrote:

        > Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms
        when the
        > motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components
        attached to it.
        > A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and
        that fix
        > the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.
        >
        > Or use a cleaning disk to clean the laser.
        >
        > On Saturday 19 April 2008 12:19:35 pm G Raghuram wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems
        nowadays.
        > > It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to previously
        read.
        > > Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on other
        computers. Even if
        > > make a rewriteable CD blank (on a different laptop) and insert it
        into my
        > > laptop, it is not able to detect it. I donot have a clue of whats
        > > happening. Someone please help!
        > >
        > > --Raghuram

        hat Uteck means by resetting the BIOS is downloading the current BIOS
        from the BIOS maker's website, the loading the new BIOS, or the old
        one if you would prefer, into the BIOS. The BIOS is on the motherboard.

        "Is there anyway to avoid/delay this failing of components."

        Everything fails at one point or another. There no way to prevent
        failing if you want to use the computer. You could leave it turned off
        for long, brief periods of time, then it may avoid failure. Use this
        as an example. The alternator on your vehicle fails and needs to be
        replaced. There is no guarantee the the replacement will last longer
        or less time. It may even fail a week after it was installed.

        The motherboard BIOS is generally a robust device, but occasionally it
        does become corrupted.
      • uteck
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 20, 2008
          Boot up the computer into the bios setup
          Press 'ALT' and 'F' at the same time
          Turn 'NUM LOCK', 'SCROLL LOCK' and 'CAPS LOCK' on. (Make sure the lights on
          the keyboard are on.)
          Press 'ALT' and 'P' at the same time. The bios should now be reset to the
          factory settings.

          If this fails, then you may be out of luck unless Dell has a recall for your
          laptop. I know they did for the GX270? dekstop which I dealt with a lot were
          I used to work a few years ago.

          On Saturday 19 April 2008 11:27:40 pm G Raghuram wrote:
          > Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms when the
          > motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components attached to
          > it.
          > A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and that
          > fix
          >
          > the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.
          >
          > Uteck,
          > The bios is not detecting the drive. By resetting the bios, do you mean
          > that I should restore factory settings? Or does bios resetting mean
          > something else? Is there anyway to avoid/delay this failing of components.
          >
          > raghuram
        • quantumnight
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 22, 2008
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "G Raghuram"
            <contactraghu@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems
            nowadays.
            > It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to previously read.
            > Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on other computers.

            Hi, G. Raghuram, I've been following this thread, and have a simple
            clarification question. You use the word "some", which means to me
            "not all". Is this correct? I ask because over the years a recurring
            problem I've seen on a few computers seems similar. That is that a CD
            I can read on my own and some other's computers cannot be read on the
            computer that wrote the disk, and sometimes disks written on other
            computers also can't be read. The problem I finally discovered was
            that the CD write sessions were never closed. I would using my laptop
            write a one word file to the CD, and , voila, suddenly the disk and
            the seemingly dead disk drive came back alive with all the previously
            hidden data. So, I figure that their write sessions defaulted to
            multiple session writes. I'm not talking about re writable CDs, just
            multiple sessions strung together. This is what brings my original
            query about the word "some". --Douglas
          • G Raghuram
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 22, 2008
              Hi Douglas,
                 Your interpretation of 'some' is correct. Some cds are readableand others are not readable.
                 However, In my case, it so happens that the presence of cd is not detected at all by the drive. It says      "Please put a disk in the drive" Did you have same msg when you used a multi-session cd? Or does it say the cd is not readable?

              Terry and uteck,
                I am yet to try out your suggestions. I will get back to you asap.

              Thnaks,
              --Raghu

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
                > Hi Douglas,
                > Your interpretation of 'some' is correct. Some cds are
                readableand others
                > are not readable.
                > However, In my case, it so happens that the presence of cd is not
                > detected at all by the drive. It says "Please put a disk in the
                drive"
                > Did you have same msg when you used a multi-session cd? Or does it
                say the
                > cd is not readable?

                Hi, Raghu, yes in fact the drives did appear to be unable to detect a
                disk at times. Because of that, I twice incorrectly, perhaps, replaced
                the drives. I now think that the problem stemmed from software
                incompatibilities. My linux system was always able to read the disks,
                though. The disks were written on windows systems. If I were you, I
                would find someone who can test the disks on another computer or two.
                If the disk can be read, have them add a small file to the disk and
                close the session. Then try to read the disk again on your system.
                good luck, Douglas