Re: [linux-dell-laptops] reading cd's in dell inspiron 1000

  • Ardell Faul
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
      Most likely the laser in the CD unit is getting weak and/or losing its
      ability to focus on the data, which are very very small "pits" etched
      into the surface of the disk. The best and possibly only cure will be
      to repalce the unit. Some units are for sale on Ebay, like item
      160230141543

      Ardell Faul
      Computer Monitor Service Inc.
      Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
      10816 E. Mission Ave.,
      Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
      ardell@...
      509-891-5188

      G Raghuram wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems
      > nowadays. It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to
      > previously read. Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on
      > other computers. Even if make a rewriteable CD blank (on a different
      > laptop) and insert it into my laptop, it is not able to detect it. I
      > donot have a clue of whats happening. Someone please help!
      >
      > --Raghuram

    • G Raghuram
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
        Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms when the
        motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components attached to it.
        A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and that fix
        the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.

        Uteck,
           The bios is not detecting the drive. By resetting the bios, do you mean that I should restore factory settings? Or does bios resetting mean something else?  Is there anyway to avoid/delay this failing of components.

        raghuram
      • Terry
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 20, 2008
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, uteck <theuteck@...> wrote:

          > Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms
          when the
          > motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components
          attached to it.
          > A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and
          that fix
          > the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.
          >
          > Or use a cleaning disk to clean the laser.
          >
          > On Saturday 19 April 2008 12:19:35 pm G Raghuram wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems
          nowadays.
          > > It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to previously
          read.
          > > Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on other
          computers. Even if
          > > make a rewriteable CD blank (on a different laptop) and insert it
          into my
          > > laptop, it is not able to detect it. I donot have a clue of whats
          > > happening. Someone please help!
          > >
          > > --Raghuram

          hat Uteck means by resetting the BIOS is downloading the current BIOS
          from the BIOS maker's website, the loading the new BIOS, or the old
          one if you would prefer, into the BIOS. The BIOS is on the motherboard.

          "Is there anyway to avoid/delay this failing of components."

          Everything fails at one point or another. There no way to prevent
          failing if you want to use the computer. You could leave it turned off
          for long, brief periods of time, then it may avoid failure. Use this
          as an example. The alternator on your vehicle fails and needs to be
          replaced. There is no guarantee the the replacement will last longer
          or less time. It may even fail a week after it was installed.

          The motherboard BIOS is generally a robust device, but occasionally it
          does become corrupted.
        • uteck
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 20, 2008
            Boot up the computer into the bios setup
            Press 'ALT' and 'F' at the same time
            Turn 'NUM LOCK', 'SCROLL LOCK' and 'CAPS LOCK' on. (Make sure the lights on
            the keyboard are on.)
            Press 'ALT' and 'P' at the same time. The bios should now be reset to the
            factory settings.

            If this fails, then you may be out of luck unless Dell has a recall for your
            laptop. I know they did for the GX270? dekstop which I dealt with a lot were
            I used to work a few years ago.

            On Saturday 19 April 2008 11:27:40 pm G Raghuram wrote:
            > Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms when the
            > motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components attached to
            > it.
            > A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and that
            > fix
            >
            > the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.
            >
            > Uteck,
            > The bios is not detecting the drive. By resetting the bios, do you mean
            > that I should restore factory settings? Or does bios resetting mean
            > something else? Is there anyway to avoid/delay this failing of components.
            >
            > raghuram
          • quantumnight
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 22, 2008
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "G Raghuram"
              <contactraghu@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems
              nowadays.
              > It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to previously read.
              > Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on other computers.

              Hi, G. Raghuram, I've been following this thread, and have a simple
              clarification question. You use the word "some", which means to me
              "not all". Is this correct? I ask because over the years a recurring
              problem I've seen on a few computers seems similar. That is that a CD
              I can read on my own and some other's computers cannot be read on the
              computer that wrote the disk, and sometimes disks written on other
              computers also can't be read. The problem I finally discovered was
              that the CD write sessions were never closed. I would using my laptop
              write a one word file to the CD, and , voila, suddenly the disk and
              the seemingly dead disk drive came back alive with all the previously
              hidden data. So, I figure that their write sessions defaulted to
              multiple session writes. I'm not talking about re writable CDs, just
              multiple sessions strung together. This is what brings my original
              query about the word "some". --Douglas
            • G Raghuram
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 22, 2008
                Hi Douglas,
                   Your interpretation of 'some' is correct. Some cds are readableand others are not readable.
                   However, In my case, it so happens that the presence of cd is not detected at all by the drive. It says      "Please put a disk in the drive" Did you have same msg when you used a multi-session cd? Or does it say the cd is not readable?

                Terry and uteck,
                  I am yet to try out your suggestions. I will get back to you asap.

                Thnaks,
                --Raghu

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
                  > Hi Douglas,
                  > Your interpretation of 'some' is correct. Some cds are
                  readableand others
                  > are not readable.
                  > However, In my case, it so happens that the presence of cd is not
                  > detected at all by the drive. It says "Please put a disk in the
                  drive"
                  > Did you have same msg when you used a multi-session cd? Or does it
                  say the
                  > cd is not readable?

                  Hi, Raghu, yes in fact the drives did appear to be unable to detect a
                  disk at times. Because of that, I twice incorrectly, perhaps, replaced
                  the drives. I now think that the problem stemmed from software
                  incompatibilities. My linux system was always able to read the disks,
                  though. The disks were written on windows systems. If I were you, I
                  would find someone who can test the disks on another computer or two.
                  If the disk can be read, have them add a small file to the disk and
                  close the session. Then try to read the disk again on your system.
                  good luck, Douglas