Re: [linux-dell-laptops] reading cd's in dell inspiron 1000

  • uteck
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
      Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms when the
      motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components attached to it.
      A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and that fix
      the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.

      Or use a cleaning disk to clean the laser.

      On Saturday 19 April 2008 12:19:35 pm G Raghuram wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems nowadays.
      > It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to previously read.
      > Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on other computers. Even if
      > make a rewriteable CD blank (on a different laptop) and insert it into my
      > laptop, it is not able to detect it. I donot have a clue of whats
      > happening. Someone please help!
      >
      > --Raghuram
    • Ardell Faul
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
        Most likely the laser in the CD unit is getting weak and/or losing its
        ability to focus on the data, which are very very small "pits" etched
        into the surface of the disk. The best and possibly only cure will be
        to repalce the unit. Some units are for sale on Ebay, like item
        160230141543

        Ardell Faul
        Computer Monitor Service Inc.
        Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
        10816 E. Mission Ave.,
        Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
        ardell@...
        509-891-5188

        G Raghuram wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems
        > nowadays. It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to
        > previously read. Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on
        > other computers. Even if make a rewriteable CD blank (on a different
        > laptop) and insert it into my laptop, it is not able to detect it. I
        > donot have a clue of whats happening. Someone please help!
        >
        > --Raghuram

      • G Raghuram
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
          Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms when the
          motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components attached to it.
          A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and that fix
          the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.

          Uteck,
             The bios is not detecting the drive. By resetting the bios, do you mean that I should restore factory settings? Or does bios resetting mean something else?  Is there anyway to avoid/delay this failing of components.

          raghuram
        • Terry
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 20, 2008
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, uteck <theuteck@...> wrote:

            > Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms
            when the
            > motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components
            attached to it.
            > A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and
            that fix
            > the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.
            >
            > Or use a cleaning disk to clean the laser.
            >
            > On Saturday 19 April 2008 12:19:35 pm G Raghuram wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems
            nowadays.
            > > It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to previously
            read.
            > > Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on other
            computers. Even if
            > > make a rewriteable CD blank (on a different laptop) and insert it
            into my
            > > laptop, it is not able to detect it. I donot have a clue of whats
            > > happening. Someone please help!
            > >
            > > --Raghuram

            hat Uteck means by resetting the BIOS is downloading the current BIOS
            from the BIOS maker's website, the loading the new BIOS, or the old
            one if you would prefer, into the BIOS. The BIOS is on the motherboard.

            "Is there anyway to avoid/delay this failing of components."

            Everything fails at one point or another. There no way to prevent
            failing if you want to use the computer. You could leave it turned off
            for long, brief periods of time, then it may avoid failure. Use this
            as an example. The alternator on your vehicle fails and needs to be
            replaced. There is no guarantee the the replacement will last longer
            or less time. It may even fail a week after it was installed.

            The motherboard BIOS is generally a robust device, but occasionally it
            does become corrupted.
          • uteck
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 20, 2008
              Boot up the computer into the bios setup
              Press 'ALT' and 'F' at the same time
              Turn 'NUM LOCK', 'SCROLL LOCK' and 'CAPS LOCK' on. (Make sure the lights on
              the keyboard are on.)
              Press 'ALT' and 'P' at the same time. The bios should now be reset to the
              factory settings.

              If this fails, then you may be out of luck unless Dell has a recall for your
              laptop. I know they did for the GX270? dekstop which I dealt with a lot were
              I used to work a few years ago.

              On Saturday 19 April 2008 11:27:40 pm G Raghuram wrote:
              > Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms when the
              > motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components attached to
              > it.
              > A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and that
              > fix
              >
              > the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.
              >
              > Uteck,
              > The bios is not detecting the drive. By resetting the bios, do you mean
              > that I should restore factory settings? Or does bios resetting mean
              > something else? Is there anyway to avoid/delay this failing of components.
              >
              > raghuram
            • quantumnight
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 22, 2008
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "G Raghuram"
                <contactraghu@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems
                nowadays.
                > It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to previously read.
                > Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on other computers.

                Hi, G. Raghuram, I've been following this thread, and have a simple
                clarification question. You use the word "some", which means to me
                "not all". Is this correct? I ask because over the years a recurring
                problem I've seen on a few computers seems similar. That is that a CD
                I can read on my own and some other's computers cannot be read on the
                computer that wrote the disk, and sometimes disks written on other
                computers also can't be read. The problem I finally discovered was
                that the CD write sessions were never closed. I would using my laptop
                write a one word file to the CD, and , voila, suddenly the disk and
                the seemingly dead disk drive came back alive with all the previously
                hidden data. So, I figure that their write sessions defaulted to
                multiple session writes. I'm not talking about re writable CDs, just
                multiple sessions strung together. This is what brings my original
                query about the word "some". --Douglas
              • G Raghuram
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 22, 2008
                  Hi Douglas,
                     Your interpretation of 'some' is correct. Some cds are readableand others are not readable.
                     However, In my case, it so happens that the presence of cd is not detected at all by the drive. It says      "Please put a disk in the drive" Did you have same msg when you used a multi-session cd? Or does it say the cd is not readable?

                  Terry and uteck,
                    I am yet to try out your suggestions. I will get back to you asap.

                  Thnaks,
                  --Raghu

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
                    > Hi Douglas,
                    > Your interpretation of 'some' is correct. Some cds are
                    readableand others
                    > are not readable.
                    > However, In my case, it so happens that the presence of cd is not
                    > detected at all by the drive. It says "Please put a disk in the
                    drive"
                    > Did you have same msg when you used a multi-session cd? Or does it
                    say the
                    > cd is not readable?

                    Hi, Raghu, yes in fact the drives did appear to be unable to detect a
                    disk at times. Because of that, I twice incorrectly, perhaps, replaced
                    the drives. I now think that the problem stemmed from software
                    incompatibilities. My linux system was always able to read the disks,
                    though. The disks were written on windows systems. If I were you, I
                    would find someone who can test the disks on another computer or two.
                    If the disk can be read, have them add a small file to the disk and
                    close the session. Then try to read the disk again on your system.
                    good luck, Douglas