reading cd's in dell inspiron 1000

  • G Raghuram
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008

        My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems nowadays. It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to previously read. Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on other computers. Even if make a rewriteable CD blank (on a different laptop) and insert it into my laptop, it is not able to detect it. I donot have a clue of whats happening. Someone please help!

      --Raghuram
    • uteck
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
        Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms when the
        motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components attached to it.
        A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and that fix
        the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.

        Or use a cleaning disk to clean the laser.

        On Saturday 19 April 2008 12:19:35 pm G Raghuram wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems nowadays.
        > It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to previously read.
        > Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on other computers. Even if
        > make a rewriteable CD blank (on a different laptop) and insert it into my
        > laptop, it is not able to detect it. I donot have a clue of whats
        > happening. Someone please help!
        >
        > --Raghuram
      • Ardell Faul
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
          Most likely the laser in the CD unit is getting weak and/or losing its
          ability to focus on the data, which are very very small "pits" etched
          into the surface of the disk. The best and possibly only cure will be
          to repalce the unit. Some units are for sale on Ebay, like item
          160230141543

          Ardell Faul
          Computer Monitor Service Inc.
          Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
          10816 E. Mission Ave.,
          Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
          ardell@...
          509-891-5188

          G Raghuram wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems
          > nowadays. It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to
          > previously read. Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on
          > other computers. Even if make a rewriteable CD blank (on a different
          > laptop) and insert it into my laptop, it is not able to detect it. I
          > donot have a clue of whats happening. Someone please help!
          >
          > --Raghuram

        • G Raghuram
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 19, 2008
            Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms when the
            motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components attached to it.
            A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and that fix
            the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.

            Uteck,
               The bios is not detecting the drive. By resetting the bios, do you mean that I should restore factory settings? Or does bios resetting mean something else?  Is there anyway to avoid/delay this failing of components.

            raghuram
          • Terry
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 20, 2008
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, uteck <theuteck@...> wrote:

              > Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms
              when the
              > motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components
              attached to it.
              > A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and
              that fix
              > the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.
              >
              > Or use a cleaning disk to clean the laser.
              >
              > On Saturday 19 April 2008 12:19:35 pm G Raghuram wrote:
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems
              nowadays.
              > > It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to previously
              read.
              > > Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on other
              computers. Even if
              > > make a rewriteable CD blank (on a different laptop) and insert it
              into my
              > > laptop, it is not able to detect it. I donot have a clue of whats
              > > happening. Someone please help!
              > >
              > > --Raghuram

              hat Uteck means by resetting the BIOS is downloading the current BIOS
              from the BIOS maker's website, the loading the new BIOS, or the old
              one if you would prefer, into the BIOS. The BIOS is on the motherboard.

              "Is there anyway to avoid/delay this failing of components."

              Everything fails at one point or another. There no way to prevent
              failing if you want to use the computer. You could leave it turned off
              for long, brief periods of time, then it may avoid failure. Use this
              as an example. The alternator on your vehicle fails and needs to be
              replaced. There is no guarantee the the replacement will last longer
              or less time. It may even fail a week after it was installed.

              The motherboard BIOS is generally a robust device, but occasionally it
              does become corrupted.
            • uteck
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 20, 2008
                Boot up the computer into the bios setup
                Press 'ALT' and 'F' at the same time
                Turn 'NUM LOCK', 'SCROLL LOCK' and 'CAPS LOCK' on. (Make sure the lights on
                the keyboard are on.)
                Press 'ALT' and 'P' at the same time. The bios should now be reset to the
                factory settings.

                If this fails, then you may be out of luck unless Dell has a recall for your
                laptop. I know they did for the GX270? dekstop which I dealt with a lot were
                I used to work a few years ago.

                On Saturday 19 April 2008 11:27:40 pm G Raghuram wrote:
                > Does the bios even detect the drive? I have seen similar symptoms when the
                > motherboard was starting to fail and not detecting components attached to
                > it.
                > A few times reseting the bios would force it to redetect things and that
                > fix
                >
                > the corruption in the bios that was causing the problem.
                >
                > Uteck,
                > The bios is not detecting the drive. By resetting the bios, do you mean
                > that I should restore factory settings? Or does bios resetting mean
                > something else? Is there anyway to avoid/delay this failing of components.
                >
                > raghuram
              • quantumnight
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 22, 2008
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "G Raghuram"
                  <contactraghu@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > My Dell Inspiron 1000 (3.5 yrs old) is giving strange problems
                  nowadays.
                  > It is not able to read/detect some CDs which it used to previously read.
                  > Also, It is not able to read/detect CDs written on other computers.

                  Hi, G. Raghuram, I've been following this thread, and have a simple
                  clarification question. You use the word "some", which means to me
                  "not all". Is this correct? I ask because over the years a recurring
                  problem I've seen on a few computers seems similar. That is that a CD
                  I can read on my own and some other's computers cannot be read on the
                  computer that wrote the disk, and sometimes disks written on other
                  computers also can't be read. The problem I finally discovered was
                  that the CD write sessions were never closed. I would using my laptop
                  write a one word file to the CD, and , voila, suddenly the disk and
                  the seemingly dead disk drive came back alive with all the previously
                  hidden data. So, I figure that their write sessions defaulted to
                  multiple session writes. I'm not talking about re writable CDs, just
                  multiple sessions strung together. This is what brings my original
                  query about the word "some". --Douglas
                • G Raghuram
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 22, 2008
                    Hi Douglas,
                       Your interpretation of 'some' is correct. Some cds are readableand others are not readable.
                       However, In my case, it so happens that the presence of cd is not detected at all by the drive. It says      "Please put a disk in the drive" Did you have same msg when you used a multi-session cd? Or does it say the cd is not readable?

                    Terry and uteck,
                      I am yet to try out your suggestions. I will get back to you asap.

                    Thnaks,
                    --Raghu

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 23, 2008
                      > Hi Douglas,
                      > Your interpretation of 'some' is correct. Some cds are
                      readableand others
                      > are not readable.
                      > However, In my case, it so happens that the presence of cd is not
                      > detected at all by the drive. It says "Please put a disk in the
                      drive"
                      > Did you have same msg when you used a multi-session cd? Or does it
                      say the
                      > cd is not readable?

                      Hi, Raghu, yes in fact the drives did appear to be unable to detect a
                      disk at times. Because of that, I twice incorrectly, perhaps, replaced
                      the drives. I now think that the problem stemmed from software
                      incompatibilities. My linux system was always able to read the disks,
                      though. The disks were written on windows systems. If I were you, I
                      would find someone who can test the disks on another computer or two.
                      If the disk can be read, have them add a small file to the disk and
                      close the session. Then try to read the disk again on your system.
                      good luck, Douglas