Re: [linux-dell-laptops] inspiron 9300: problems with fans and cpu throttling

  • Walter Cazzola
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 26, 2008
      On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Peter Teuben wrote:

      > On [Wed Mar 26 14:27], Walter Cazzola wrote:
      >> Dear Linux Experts,
      >>
      >> I'm an owner of a three-years old inspiron 9300 laptop running linux
      >> Mandriva 2007.1. In the last few weeks I got a few problems with the
      >> fans and the CPU clock.
      >>
      >> For no apparent reasons the fans start whirling at the highest speed and
      >> the only way I found to turn them off is switching off and on the laptop.
      >>
      >> Analogously the laptop CPU without reasons stops working at 2.2 Ghz and
      >> slow down to 800 Mhz and again to turn off the laptop is the only way
      >> that (sometimes not always) restores the top speed for the CPU.
      >>
      >> Do you know why this happens? I have checked with the Dell check program
      >> but both fans and CPU works correctly.
      >>
      >> Especially do you know how to bypass this problems by forcing the turn
      >> off/on of the fans (is there something like the i8k tools for the
      >> i9300?) and regulate the CPU clock?

      > On my i8200 forcing it off was done with Fn-Z.

      it is not the case here, the support of the function keys is very low
      under mandriva 2007.1 on i9300 or at least I give up to get my function
      keys working long ago.

      Best
      Walter

      --
      Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
      E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 010 353 6637 Fax: +39 010 353 6699
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 26, 2008
        On [Wed Mar 26 14:52], Walter Cazzola wrote:
        > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Peter Teuben wrote:
        >
        > > On [Wed Mar 26 14:27], Walter Cazzola wrote:
        > >> Dear Linux Experts,
        > >>
        > >> I'm an owner of a three-years old inspiron 9300 laptop running linux
        > >> Mandriva 2007.1. In the last few weeks I got a few problems with the
        > >> fans and the CPU clock.
        > >>
        > >> For no apparent reasons the fans start whirling at the highest speed and
        > >> the only way I found to turn them off is switching off and on the laptop.
        > >>
        > >> Analogously the laptop CPU without reasons stops working at 2.2 Ghz and
        > >> slow down to 800 Mhz and again to turn off the laptop is the only way
        > >> that (sometimes not always) restores the top speed for the CPU.
        > >>
        > >> Do you know why this happens? I have checked with the Dell check program
        > >> but both fans and CPU works correctly.
        > >>
        > >> Especially do you know how to bypass this problems by forcing the turn
        > >> off/on of the fans (is there something like the i8k tools for the
        > >> i9300?) and regulate the CPU clock?
        >
        > > On my i8200 forcing it off was done with Fn-Z.
        >
        > it is not the case here, the support of the function keys is very low
        > under mandriva 2007.1 on i9300 or at least I give up to get my function
        > keys working long ago.

        The Fn-Z function is a direct call into the BIOS and doesn't need an OS,
        at least that's my understanding! But it may very well be that for this
        Dell model they've changed the keys.

        p.