Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Issue with my Inspiron E1505 Battery.

  • uteck
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25, 2008
      I have heard that draining a battery is not good for it, but others
      say it prolongs the life.
      If the battery is not taking a charge anymore, I don't think there is
      anything you can do to fix it. They do have a set life on the number
      of recharges they can take, so I think you found out who many yours
      can have.

      --
      no .sig found
      Please restart your browser.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2008
        Draining Lithium Ion battteries is a bad idea. Lithium Ion does not
        suffer from the memory loss associated with Nickle Cadmimum batteries,
        where discharging them would "reset" the molecules because they forgot
        how to take a charge after a while. When you drain a li-ion battery,
        all you are doing is shortening its life.

        You need a new battery. DON'T periodically discharge it, in fact, it
        should be kept well charged whenever possible. I leave the units I have
        for sale plugged in all the time. The batteries have internal circuitry
        to regulate the charge current, and when they are full, they simply stop
        taking any more current.

        Ardell Faul
        Computer Monitor Service Inc.
        Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
        10816 E. Mission Ave.,
        Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
        ardell@...
        509-891-5188

        Santhana Krishnan Boopalan wrote:

        > Dear all.
        > I have been using a DELL inspiron E1505(6400) since Aug 06. I use Ubuntu.
        > I usually drain my battery once in 3 weeks/a month. the same way, I
        > let my battery drain and slept off on friday (21/3). On saturday I
        > noticed that the battery now has 0% charge. and It doesnt get charged
        > after that.
        > 1. I use a 65 W adapter, tried using a 90W adapter. -> No result.
        > 2. The terminals of the battery are at 12.88 V DC, when the AC power
        > is switched on, I didnt check the current flow though. I.E. the
        > battery starts to charge but the charging happens only for a about
        > 20-30 seconds. and after that it stops.
        >
        > any ideas of what I need to before I go in for a new battery would be
        > very helpful.
        > thanks in advance.
        > -santhana.

      • DblMtn
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 26, 2008
          Doesn't the e1405 use a lithium-ion battery? If so, don't drain the
          battery. You will only shorten the life of the battery.

          If the battery is ni-cad, drain to prevent the battery developing a
          "memory".

          --
          DblMtn