Issue with my Inspiron E1505 Battery.

  • Santhana Krishnan Boopalan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25, 2008
      Dear all.
      I have been using a DELL inspiron E1505(6400) since Aug 06. I use Ubuntu.
      I usually drain my battery once in 3 weeks/a month. the same way, I
      let my battery drain and slept off on friday (21/3). On saturday I
      noticed that the battery now has 0% charge. and It doesnt get charged
      after that.
      1. I use a 65 W adapter, tried using a 90W adapter. -> No result.
      2. The terminals of the battery are at 12.88 V DC, when the AC power
      is switched on, I didnt check the current flow though. I.E. the
      battery starts to charge but the charging happens only for a about
      20-30 seconds. and after that it stops.

      any ideas of what I need to before I go in for a new battery would be
      very helpful.
      thanks in advance.
      -santhana.
    • uteck
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2008
        I have heard that draining a battery is not good for it, but others
        say it prolongs the life.
        If the battery is not taking a charge anymore, I don't think there is
        anything you can do to fix it. They do have a set life on the number
        of recharges they can take, so I think you found out who many yours
        can have.

        --
        no .sig found
        Please restart your browser.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 25, 2008
          Draining Lithium Ion battteries is a bad idea. Lithium Ion does not
          suffer from the memory loss associated with Nickle Cadmimum batteries,
          where discharging them would "reset" the molecules because they forgot
          how to take a charge after a while. When you drain a li-ion battery,
          all you are doing is shortening its life.

          You need a new battery. DON'T periodically discharge it, in fact, it
          should be kept well charged whenever possible. I leave the units I have
          for sale plugged in all the time. The batteries have internal circuitry
          to regulate the charge current, and when they are full, they simply stop
          taking any more current.

          Ardell Faul
          Computer Monitor Service Inc.
          Ardell's Laptop and PC Repair
          10816 E. Mission Ave.,
          Spokane Valley, Wa. 99206
          ardell@...
          509-891-5188

          Santhana Krishnan Boopalan wrote:

          > Dear all.
          > I have been using a DELL inspiron E1505(6400) since Aug 06. I use Ubuntu.
          > I usually drain my battery once in 3 weeks/a month. the same way, I
          > let my battery drain and slept off on friday (21/3). On saturday I
          > noticed that the battery now has 0% charge. and It doesnt get charged
          > after that.
          > 1. I use a 65 W adapter, tried using a 90W adapter. -> No result.
          > 2. The terminals of the battery are at 12.88 V DC, when the AC power
          > is switched on, I didnt check the current flow though. I.E. the
          > battery starts to charge but the charging happens only for a about
          > 20-30 seconds. and after that it stops.
          >
          > any ideas of what I need to before I go in for a new battery would be
          > very helpful.
          > thanks in advance.
          > -santhana.

        • DblMtn
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 26, 2008
            Doesn't the e1405 use a lithium-ion battery? If so, don't drain the
            battery. You will only shorten the life of the battery.

            If the battery is ni-cad, drain to prevent the battery developing a
            "memory".

            --
            DblMtn