Video configuration (was: Re: [linux-dell-laptops] RHEL5 client installation problem on DELL (D630 Notebook))

  • ken
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2008
      On 02/14/2008 06:45 AM joydevg wrote:
      > Hi All,
      > we are trying to install RHEL5 on dell notebook model no D630.
      > we are unable to load GUI(Graphics) mode. only possible Text mode.
      > there is probing problem in graphics card. not probe, going to Text
      > mode only.
      > Any body can help me, how it can possible to load graphics mome only?
      > joydev

      As root, run "hwinfo --gfxcard", and note what it says for "Model".
      Then check this output against what your purchase order says to see if
      this is accurate. If you don't have a purchase order or other reliable
      inventory on your notebook's hardware, see what Windows says it is.

      On my notebook (Dell 600m) "hwinfo" gets the video card wrong. I
      reported/complained about this multiple times years ago to Suse and got
      nothing back from them but angry denials. So I gave up.

      Once you find out what video card you have-- and, as said, don't trust
      "hwinfo"--, then you'll need to get the appropriate /etc/X11/xorg.conf
      file for your system. It's likely you'll have to find one or two such
      files and tweak them by hand until you can get one that works for you.

      Don't you get some support with RHEL?

      The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
      same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
      -- Albert Einstein