Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Promiscuous? PCMCIA on i8K

  • Marc Fellman
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2001
      Aanhalen hw_tph@...:

      > Thanks for the input. I have gone back to RH7, successfully installed
      > pcmcia-cs (well, no error messages anyway) and tried your files but
      > when I do use it the lo device isn't found and all services fail upon
      > boot. Did I do something wrong? I replaced the ifup link
      > in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ with your file and put the ifup-
      > xircom script there as well.
      >
      > What seems so strange to me is now the pcmcia service is loaded
      > succesfully ("beep-beep") on boot but there is still no eth0 device,
      > so obviously I can't configure it.

      OK..

      Dis you check if their aren't to many differnces between RedHat and the scripts
      i use? If you get two beeps that should do it. Could you check if their are any
      scripts left running started by the cardmanager software (cardmgr ?). With
      netconf you can config a port that isn't up or initialised. Maybe you should
      start with assigning it a fixed IP (with the old scripts). After that you should
      be able to configure it to dhcp. If fixed IP works then we can be shure that the
      software for pcmcia is correct.

      > ///HÃ¥kan
      >

      > > Well I don't mind.
      > >
      > > It all depends on the fact if you want to use DHCP or a fixed IP
      > number. If it
      > > is a fixed IP-number than you should set the card into promisc
      > somewhere after
      > > initialising the card. If you use dhcp it's a different thing.
      > Because the dhcp
      > > client software puts the card out of the promisc setting I use a
      > trick.
      > > Somewhere in the mail archive of this list i have the
      > iniitalisation scripts
      > > mailed for mandrake. I don't think that their is a big difference
      > (but please
      > > check first!).
      > >
      > > If you can't find the example script I will send you the
      > initialisation scripts.

      Dit bericht was verstuurd met IMP: fellsoft.homeip.net