Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Dual boot Vista/Ubuntu on Precision M4300

  • L.V.Gandhi
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2007
      On 9/16/07, Christoph Eckert <ce@...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I plan the purchase of a Precision M4300. While the main OS still will
      > be Linux, I plan to keep the Vista installation on the device.
      >
      > I plan to boot into Vista and to repartition the drive with the built in
      > Vista tool. But what I've seen in the internet, it eventually does not
      > allow to shrink the c: partition to a size I want it to.
      >
      > Thus my question: if I have to partition the device with other tools,
      > I'll surely need to reinstall Vista. Will this be possible with the CDs
      > provided by Dell? Will Vista registration be a problem after
      > reinstalling? Will I need to reinstall all drivers under Vista or are
      > those already included in the Dell disk image?
      >
      > Sometimes I heard that it was not possible to boot Vista using GRUB but
      > also heard success stories.
      >
      > Dell provides Ubuntu installation discs. Should I prefer those over
      > plain Ubuntu discs?
      >
      > Any experiences?
      >
      > Thanks a bunch & best regards,
      >
      > ce
      Please see
      http://blogs.ibibo.com/lvgandhi/Multiboot-Vista-and-linuxes.html
      http://debianetchonsonyvaiofe880.blogspot.com/

      --
      L.V.Gandhi
      http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2007
        Hi,

        thanks for the replies. I'm currently not that responsive, as my
        Inspiron finally died and Dell currently needs a couple of weeks to
        delivers new orders :( .

        Thanks & best regards,

        ce