Re: [linux-dell-laptops] i8k fans always at 0 2

  • Peter Teuben
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18, 2007
      On [Sat Aug 18 11:41], Christoph Eckert wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > > since yesterday, the fans of my i8200 always run at high speed
      > > (i8kfan tells me 0 2), though there's no significant CPU load.
      >
      > I forgot to metion that the left fan does not do anything, even when
      > trying to start it with i8kfan 2 2 :( .

      Sometimes I also find mine to go amok. It's been a lot better with Fedora Core 5
      (i still haven't been to reliably do suspend on FC6, FC7 and now FC8-test1 :-(((
      but if your fans go nuts, the Fn-Z key combination will turn them off also.
      As said, I used to have to do that a lot, but not recvently.

      What's annoying is that if you have a browser open, some webpages/plugins make
      your CPU go wild and that turns the fan(s) on as well.

      - peter
    • Christoph Eckert
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2007
        Hi,

        > since yesterday, the fans of my i8200 always run at high speed
        > (i8kfan tells me 0 2), though there's no significant CPU load.

        JFYI: it seems that one of the RAMs is defective. I removed the first
        and then the other, and now the system behaves as it should.

        Cheers,

        ce
      • Munagala Ramanath
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 26, 2007
          Hi,

          I'm in the market for a laptop; my current one is i8100 and
          has behaved very well under Mandriva for the last 5 years but
          the limit of 512MB RAM is starting to hurt especially with
          recent versions of Eclipse.

          I'll probably be running Mandriva on it. It'll be mostly a
          development machine with a little recreation thrown in.
          My requirements are (apart from usual things like USB2, DVD burner, etc.):
          (a) Support for 4GB RAM
          (b) Runs well under Linux.
          (c) Hi-res screen (at least 1440x900; a lot of low end machines seem
          to be 1280x800 which I find is too small).

          Thanks.

          Ram