Re: [linux-dell-laptops] i8k fans always at 0 2

  • Christoph Eckert
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18, 2007
      Hi,

      > since yesterday, the fans of my i8200 always run at high speed
      > (i8kfan tells me 0 2), though there's no significant CPU load.

      I forgot to metion that the left fan does not do anything, even when
      trying to start it with i8kfan 2 2 :( .

      Sorry for the duplicated mails, seems my mail address is subscribed
      twice to this list.

      Cheers,

      ce
    • Peter Teuben
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18, 2007
        On [Sat Aug 18 11:41], Christoph Eckert wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > > since yesterday, the fans of my i8200 always run at high speed
        > > (i8kfan tells me 0 2), though there's no significant CPU load.
        >
        > I forgot to metion that the left fan does not do anything, even when
        > trying to start it with i8kfan 2 2 :( .

        Sometimes I also find mine to go amok. It's been a lot better with Fedora Core 5
        (i still haven't been to reliably do suspend on FC6, FC7 and now FC8-test1 :-(((
        but if your fans go nuts, the Fn-Z key combination will turn them off also.
        As said, I used to have to do that a lot, but not recvently.

        What's annoying is that if you have a browser open, some webpages/plugins make
        your CPU go wild and that turns the fan(s) on as well.

        - peter
      • Christoph Eckert
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 19, 2007
          Hi,

          > since yesterday, the fans of my i8200 always run at high speed
          > (i8kfan tells me 0 2), though there's no significant CPU load.

          JFYI: it seems that one of the RAMs is defective. I removed the first
          and then the other, and now the system behaves as it should.

          Cheers,

          ce
        • Munagala Ramanath
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 26, 2007
            Hi,

            I'm in the market for a laptop; my current one is i8100 and
            has behaved very well under Mandriva for the last 5 years but
            the limit of 512MB RAM is starting to hurt especially with
            recent versions of Eclipse.

            I'll probably be running Mandriva on it. It'll be mostly a
            development machine with a little recreation thrown in.
            My requirements are (apart from usual things like USB2, DVD burner, etc.):
            (a) Support for 4GB RAM
            (b) Runs well under Linux.
            (c) Hi-res screen (at least 1440x900; a lot of low end machines seem
            to be 1280x800 which I find is too small).

            Thanks.

            Ram