i8k fans always at 0 2

  • Christoph Eckert
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18, 2007

      since yesterday, the fans of my i8200 always run at high speed (i8kfan
      tells me 0 2), though there's no significant CPU load.

      I can't remember having changed anything on the system, it ran just fine
      for ages. Thus I wonder if a BIOS setting got corrupted somehow or
      (sigh) if it is a hardware defect of the fan controller.

      Anyone savvy here who can share some knowledge?

      Cheers,

      ce
    • Christoph Eckert
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18, 2007

        > since yesterday, the fans of my i8200 always run at high speed
        > (i8kfan tells me 0 2), though there's no significant CPU load.

        I forgot to metion that the left fan does not do anything, even when
        trying to start it with i8kfan 2 2 :( .

        Sorry for the duplicated mails, seems my mail address is subscribed
        twice to this list.

        Cheers,

        ce
      • Peter Teuben
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18, 2007
          On [Sat Aug 18 11:41], Christoph Eckert wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > > since yesterday, the fans of my i8200 always run at high speed
          > > (i8kfan tells me 0 2), though there's no significant CPU load.
          >
          > I forgot to metion that the left fan does not do anything, even when
          > trying to start it with i8kfan 2 2 :( .

          Sometimes I also find mine to go amok. It's been a lot better with Fedora Core 5
          (i still haven't been to reliably do suspend on FC6, FC7 and now FC8-test1 :-(((
          but if your fans go nuts, the Fn-Z key combination will turn them off also.
          As said, I used to have to do that a lot, but not recvently.

          What's annoying is that if you have a browser open, some webpages/plugins make
          your CPU go wild and that turns the fan(s) on as well.

          - peter
        • Christoph Eckert
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19, 2007

            > since yesterday, the fans of my i8200 always run at high speed
            > (i8kfan tells me 0 2), though there's no significant CPU load.

            JFYI: it seems that one of the RAMs is defective. I removed the first
            and then the other, and now the system behaves as it should.

            Cheers,

            ce
          • Munagala Ramanath
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 26, 2007

              I'm in the market for a laptop; my current one is i8100 and
              has behaved very well under Mandriva for the last 5 years but
              the limit of 512MB RAM is starting to hurt especially with
              recent versions of Eclipse.

              I'll probably be running Mandriva on it. It'll be mostly a
              development machine with a little recreation thrown in.
              My requirements are (apart from usual things like USB2, DVD burner, etc.):
              (a) Support for 4GB RAM
              (b) Runs well under Linux.
              (c) Hi-res screen (at least 1440x900; a lot of low end machines seem
              to be 1280x800 which I find is too small).

              Thanks.

              Ram