[linux-dell-laptops] suspend and write problems with Mandrake 6.1

  • Vivian Choh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2000
      Hi folks,

      Have an I3500 with dual boot Mandrake 6.1 and Win98. I keep getting an
      error message about not having set up the boot/suspend if the computer
      was last in linux (it comes up after the DELL splash screen, just
      before the boot manager). Have of course noticed a problem with
      suspend (the computer just doesn't suspend in linux). The errors do
      not occur if the computer was last booted in Win98 (and the suspend
      works fine if in win98). Linux and its swap are on hda3 and hda4,
      while Win drives (c:,d: and e:) are on hda1, hda5 and hda6, if that has
      anything to do with anything.

      A quick second question: I've loaded up my windows drives using the
      fstab file. The Win drives are accessible for read and write as root,
      but only as read as user. I've tried the chmod thing (666, 777) but
      nada. Any other suggestions to try? I particularly need access to my
      e: (hda6) since that is where all my data lies. Is it a conversion
      thing? They're mounted as vfat if that's any help. It's becoming
      quite a hindrance, as I would like to really start using linux a lot
      more, but cannot!!

      Thanks in advance for any advice!

      Viv