Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Comments on HP laptops in comparison with Dell's

  • Wayne Feick
    Message 1 of 5 , May 20 9:05 PM
      We got my wife an HP about a year and a half ago, then switched her back to Dell because of their superior support.

      HP's warranty was supposed to be quick turn around, but when it had video problems they told us that since we had tweaked the configuration from one of their standard bundles (you know, the start here, then customize) that it was considered a custom order and instead of a couple days turn around it would be weeks. It took over 3 weeks to get a unit with a new motherboard back.

      They will also completely reimage any hard drive that's in the computer when you send it in for service, so after some argument with them it was finally agreed I could remove the hard drive before sending it in. The support person in India was reading from a script and had poor english. She seemed to think the problem was with the Windows install, despite the fact that I kept telling her the video problems were visible when in the BIOS.

      We later had problems with the power connector on the motherboard and since she couldn't go 3 weeks without her computer again we decided to switch her back to a Dell. They'll send a tech to your home or business and swap a faulty part right in front of you. I've had that done with my Dell (problem with the keyboard), and was very, very happy with the support.

      HP does not offer this. Dell's support costs a few hundred dollars on top of the cost of the machine, but when you're already spending $2k it's worth the money (at least to me).

      We'll never buy another HP, and I just ordered a new Dell for myself to replace the 4 or 5 year old Inspiron 8500 I'm typing on right now.

      Wayne.

      On Sat, 2007-05-19 at 21:57 +0000, Alwin Gupta wrote:
      Hi All,

      I have been using Dell Insipiron 510m since last 2-1/2 year and now
      its dead. I am planning to buy another laptop, but this time I am
      looking out for HP laptops, specifically HP nc6400 business series
      laptops. This series has a pretty cool configuration 1.83GHz core 2
      duo processor with 14.1 in wide display of 1440x900 resolution and
      other things. Please let me know your feedbacks/comments on HP
      laptops, if any, (except that it is a bit overpriced as compared to
      Dell) about the product quality + support from HP.

      Thanks,
      Alwin

      PS: For model to model comparison between Dell and HP, please visit
      the following links:

      http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/sm/WF06b/1090709-1124051-1124051-1124051-12434656-12401284-78063277.html

      http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d630?c=in&cs=inbsd1&l=en&s=bsd

    • foundprophet87
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2007
        I've never been a big fan of HP/Compaq's hardware. It's been mediocre
        at best. Dell does have the all around best support policy, IMO. And
        the harware's not particularly very proprietary, either; so, you can
        run just about any OS on them.

        My $0.02. 3nj0iZ!

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Alwin Gupta"
        <alwingupta@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I have been using Dell Insipiron 510m since last 2-1/2 year and now
        > its dead. I am planning to buy another laptop, but this time I am
        > looking out for HP laptops, specifically HP nc6400 business series
        > laptops. This series has a pretty cool configuration 1.83GHz core 2
        > duo processor with 14.1 in wide display of 1440x900 resolution and
        > other things. Please let me know your feedbacks/comments on HP
        > laptops, if any, (except that it is a bit overpriced as compared to
        > Dell) about the product quality + support from HP.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Alwin
        >
        > PS: For model to model comparison between Dell and HP, please visit
        > the following links:

        http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/sm/WF06b/1090709-1124051-1124051-1124051-12434656-12401284-78063277.html

        http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d630?c=in&cs=inbsd1&l=en&s=bsd

      • Terry
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2007
          Not a great fan of HP/Compaq laptops. Your Inspiron D510 is dead?
          Plain description. Have you tried bringing it back to life? It may be
          less expensive to replace the parts yourself to revitalize it, unless
          your really want to replace it with a new laptop.
          terry
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "foundprophet87"
          <n3ur0t1ca@...> wrote:

          > I've never been a big fan of HP/Compaq's hardware. It's been mediocre
          > at best. Dell does have the all around best support policy, IMO. And
          > the harware's not particularly very proprietary, either; so, you can
          > run just about any OS on them.
          >
          > My $0.02. 3nj0iZ!
          >
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Alwin Gupta"
          > <alwingupta@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > I have been using Dell Insipiron 510m since last 2-1/2 year and now
          > > its dead. I am planning to buy another laptop, but this time I am
          > > looking out for HP laptops, specifically HP nc6400 business series
          > > laptops. This series has a pretty cool configuration 1.83GHz core 2
          > > duo processor with 14.1 in wide display of 1440x900 resolution and
          > > other things. Please let me know your feedbacks/comments on HP
          > > laptops, if any, (except that it is a bit overpriced as compared to
          > > Dell) about the product quality + support from HP.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Alwin
          > >
          > > PS: For model to model comparison between Dell and HP, please visit
          > > the following links:

          http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/sm/WF06b/1090709-1124051-1124051-1124051-12434656-12401284-78063277.html

          http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d630?c=in&cs=inbsd1&l=en&s=bsd

        • Alwin Gupta
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 23, 2007
            I finally settled on Dell Latitude 820 laptop: 1.83GHz core 2 duo, 1GB Ram,
            nVidia NVS 120M, 1920x1200 display, 80GB sata disk ...

            510M is confirmed dead (motherboard passed away)..

            -Alwin

            --- Terry <tmorris20@...> wrote:

            > Not a great fan of HP/Compaq laptops. Your Inspiron D510 is dead?
            > Plain description. Have you tried bringing it back to life? It may be
            > less expensive to replace the parts yourself to revitalize it, unless
            > your really want to replace it with a new laptop.
            > terry
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "foundprophet87"
            > <n3ur0t1ca@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I've never been a big fan of HP/Compaq's hardware. It's been mediocre
            > > at best. Dell does have the all around best support policy, IMO. And
            > > the harware's not particularly very proprietary, either; so, you can
            > > run just about any OS on them.
            > >
            > > My $0.02. 3nj0iZ!
            > >
            > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Alwin Gupta"
            > > <alwingupta@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi All,
            > > >
            > > > I have been using Dell Insipiron 510m since last 2-1/2 year and now
            > > > its dead. I am planning to buy another laptop, but this time I am
            > > > looking out for HP laptops, specifically HP nc6400 business series
            > > > laptops. This series has a pretty cool configuration 1.83GHz core 2
            > > > duo processor with 14.1 in wide display of 1440x900 resolution and
            > > > other things. Please let me know your feedbacks/comments on HP
            > > > laptops, if any, (except that it is a bit overpriced as compared to
            > > > Dell) about the product quality + support from HP.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Alwin
            > > >
            > > > PS: For model to model comparison between Dell and HP, please visit
            > > > the following links:

            http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/sm/WF06b/1090709-1124051-1124051-1124051-12434656-12401284-78063277.html

            http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d630?c=in&cs=inbsd1&l=en&s=bsd

            Need a vacation? Get great deals